Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Weak security

My iPhone is saying weak security when connecting to my virgin wifi, I read the post that says to change the settings of the hub but I can’t find the “drop down” bit next to security ? Can anyone help pleAse 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Weak security

It’s nothing to worry about. It’s just Apple being over zealous about the new WPA3 security. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The latest iOS update on apple devices tarnish "any and all" networks not using the latest WPA3 wireless security standard as 'Weak' 

Unfortunately not a lot that can be done about this as pretty much all wireless routers 'currently' don't have the new standard of WPA3 included in the firmware/software.

I'm sure this will come in future firmware updates or hardware but for now wireless security is limited to WPA2 which when configured properly is secure enough.

If you want the latest security standard you will have to buy your own router that has support for it out of the box.

See here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/iOS-14-Weak-Security/td-p/4410050

Matt
If I've helped please let me know 🙂

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Furloughed Chef working Warehouse Jobs.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ho, 

thankyou for your reply.

so right now when I’m connecting to the WiFi , it connects but then it disconnects after a short time , is there no way to fix this 😖

thank you

chloe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@JitteryPinger @gary_dexter I'm afraid you are both wrong, this is nothing to do with WPA3 at all!

The original WPA certification used an encryption method called TKIP, WPA2 could use TKIP for backward compatibility, but the better option was to use the AES standard which it also supported. TKIP is no longer considered secure by anyone and the advice is to make sure you are using WPA2-AES or WPA3 (which only uses AES), the issue with the VM Hub is that by default the encryption is set as WPA/WPA2 for backward compatibility with older devices and this by its nature uses has to use the less-secure TKIP standard.

TKIP has been known to be insecure and deprecated for ages, all that Apple have done is to force the issue to the foreground, luckily the 'fix' is very simple, just change the encryption standard to be WPA2 only. Without the need to be backward compatible with older devices (and frankly if you do have any devices which can't use WPA2-AES, disconnect them and put them in the bin), the Hub will negotiate the much more secure AES encryption with your devices.

@Chloeg88 are you still having problems finding the Hub's wifi security options?

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Chloeg88 wrote:

Ho, 

thankyou for your reply.

so right now when I’m connecting to the WiFi , it connects but then it disconnects after a short time , is there no way to fix this 😖

thank you

chloe

That’s nothing to do with the weak security message

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi