cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak security on brand new Hub 3

cjp1
Up to speed

We had problems with our Hub 3 so VM sent us a replacement.

I installed the hub yesterday and today have noticed in settings on two iPads and an iPhone it says weak security under the Hub name.

is this normal for a brand new hub? I’d have expected it to be shipped fully configured for a secure connection. I haven’t changed any settings on the hub.

when I click on info it says:

WPA/WPA2 (TKIP) is not considered secure.

If this is your WiFi network, configure the router to use WPA2 (AES) or WPA3 security type.

obviously I can go ahead and change the settings but surprised it wasn’t shipped totally secure and which setting is better?

32 REPLIES 32

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

It seems that Apple products that are the only ones reporting this issue. Probably part of their plan to take over the world lol.

Go into the Hub Settings and change them.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Benhol
Just joined

I got this yesterday to, it appeared after doing the latest iOS update 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yes our Apple devices have been updated to ios14 also, I didn’t notice whether it said weak security before, but as I’d only installed the new hub on Monday assumed it was that, sounds like it could be a coincidence.

Perhaps the new Apple OS demands higher security settings?

I just remembered that one of our iPads hasn’t been update from iOS13.7 to iOS14 yet and that one doesn’t have the WiFi connection showing as weak security so it does appear it’s an issue with iOS14

it would be interesting to hear from other VM/Apple users

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

WPA TKIP is an access protocol with an old encryption standard from around 2003, that includes some known vulnerabilities.  It is offered for compatibility reasons with older legacy devices (and I wouldn't be surprised if it also was used by a few of the cheap and cheerless newer ones like low end "internet of junk" devices and some wireless printers).   That's why it's on the Hub 3, that's why it is enabled. 

Turning it off in this day and age SHOULDN'T cause a problem, but if you find a device that won't connect, then you'd either need to change the device setting to use AES, or re-enable TKIP on the hub.  Or buy newer kit. 

Hello I changed the setting and I still have the same issue in the iPhone.  Can anyone please advise? Seems that even with WPA2 the iPhone still see it at WPA/WPA2 and hence I still get an error and the WiFi keeps disconnecting. I hope that someone has a solution.

spgray
Problem sorter

the iphone can't report that it's WPA/WPA2 if you have the hub set to WPA2 only.
so either your iphone is faulty or you haven't set the hub to use only WPA2, more likely the latter.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

I confirm that I have done that and that my hub3 is on WPA2 and I still see it as WPA/WPA2.

Any thoughts?