Menu
alanhowland
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Weak WiFi even next to my Hub3.

I've spoken to Virgin technical support but all suggestions have made no difference. Both sound and vision cut out constantly during video calls on mobile and laptop. What else can I try ?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Weak WiFi even next to my Hub3.

Connect the laptop to the Hub on an ethernet cable and see whether that is stable when the wifi phone drops out. This will help identify whether you have a network connection issue or just a wifi one.

Also what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when these drop outs happen?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
alanhowland
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John. The only light is the steady white light at the bottom, no other lights appear during the problem times.

My laptop has no ethernet port unfortunately.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If your bottom light is steady white it suggests it is wifi only but you need to do an ethernet test to check

Neither of my laptops or iPhones has an ethernet port either - but you can get ethernet "adapters" for any port you laptop does have - I have them for USB3, USBc, lightning & Thunderbolt.

e.g. a USB3 one....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rankie-Network-Adapter-Gigabit-Black/dp/B010SEARPU/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
alanhowland
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm somewhat reluctant to start purchasing 'extras' on top of my monthly charges from Virgin. Several people have suggested I buy a WiFi booster, but if the WiFi is the problem I'd rather my provider took responsibility for putting it right.

Thanks for your suggestions.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK your call.

Re the wifi, then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to “some customers” (Ultimate Oomph or 1GB packages) but most will be charged £5/month but right now they dont have enough supplies to provide them - unless you have a demonstrable wifi issue. Note for comparison, that the BT whole home wifi system costs their customers £10/month.

And at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

it doesnt make economic sense to rent these - but if you qualify for free ones call in and get on the list to be supplied with them

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@alanhowland wrote:

I'm somewhat reluctant to start purchasing 'extras' on top of my monthly charges from Virgin. Several people have suggested I buy a WiFi booster, but if the WiFi is the problem I'd rather my provider took responsibility for putting it right.

VM don't want to take responsibility for WiFi that they added to a service thats wired.

But you can ask for a another hub my be second hand.  

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
alanhowland
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thans again for your input. Those instructions mirror what the technical assistant was suggesting via my last phone call with Virgin. As you suspected it made little or no difference !

I shall persevere and hope for some resolution 🙂

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Then there is no "resolution" other than pay VM for pods or get your own better wifi solution

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi @alanhowland

Welcome to the forum page and thanks for posting this on here. 

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with your WiFi, I can appreciate this isn't ideal. 

I have taken a look at your account and can see no faults or outages that could be causing an issue with your WiFi. Everything all seems to be running smoothly and fab. 

If you wish to enquire about our WiFi pods, then I would suggest getting in touch with our team via 0345 454 1111 and they can go through this with you. 

Any more issues please do let us know 🙂 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos