cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak Wi-Fi

carni2k5
Dialled in

Wi-Fi downstairs where router is it’s 140mbs but upstairs at the back of the house it’s intermittent or low at 11.7mbs download speed upload speed is 13.8mbs I’ve restarted the router lots of times to no avail. I thought about moving the router towards the middle of the house but sadly the guy that installed the router cut the cable that short it can’t be moved it’s stuck against the front of the house wall, so there’s no way of moving it. I’m paying £81.25 for my package that’s the medium package no extra channels so with all the modern day hype about getting Wi-Fi anywhere in my house no you can’t I can’t even get Wi-Fi in my garden. I checked the status for my area says there’s no issues. My illness means I’m stuck in bed a lot of the time and having little or no Wi-Fi sometimes isn’t ideal. My bedroom TV struggles and freezes when I’m watching Netflix really annoying when it’s constantly pausing. At the beginning of the pandemic I was offered the latest router I accepted and got a message saying it was on its way it never arrived.

is there any advice on how to remedy this

18 REPLIES 18

Thanks for coming back to us carni2k5. I have looked into your account and cannot see any issues with your connection or in the local area. 

Would you be able to give you router a quick reboot and let me know if that makes any difference at all?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

carni2k5
Dialled in

Sorry been unwell again I’ve rebooted the router about 5 times a week the problem is the WiFi in my bedroom it’s up and down Tv Netflix keeps freezing and waiting for emails or googling takes forever. I’ve tested the speed at the moment it’s 20.1MBs download speed and 12.9MBs upload in 5 mins it could be zero 20.1 is the highest it gets there’s times when upload speed is higher than download it’s not good when I’m stuck in bed which can be often. Thank you for your time in trying to help with this dilemma 

Joseph_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @carni2k5,

Thanks for confirming this for us and sorry that it has not improved too much, what I would recommend you to do is use our Connect app here, this will allow you to see what the speeds are and some tips and tricks for your connection, it will also recommend to get one of our WIFI pods if required.

Joe

carni2k5
Dialled in

Where can I get an extension cable so I can move the router from where it is, the cable is that short it’s stuck in the front corner of the house near the floor if I could get some kind of extension or take the cable out and reattach a new cable but one a lot longer so I can move it to middle of the house then should hopefully get good WiFi all around the house.

Hi @carni2k5 

Thanks for coming back to the thread. We wouldn't send a cable out, it would be a technician call out to relocate the router. There is a cost of this of £25. 

Did you try the Connect App that my colleague advised in the previous reply?

Let us know about the call out.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

carni2k5
Dialled in

I’ve tried the connect app it didn’t really help with the problem it’s ok I’ll leave it as it is I can’t be bothered with it now. Thank you all for your time.

Hi @carni2k5 

What did the Connect App advise please? Can you post screenshots of the speedtests done?

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

C61A1A56-2553-4F12-A31E-FE5928FBBA01.png

 Thanks John here are the screenshots 

CCA6C47A-860B-4011-A39A-C85B5C242491.png

Hi @carni2k5, thank you for your response. 

In order to look into this for you further, we'll send you a private message on here. Look out for the envelope in the top right-hand corner.

If you're on a portable device with a smaller screen, click on the icon in the top right-hand corner and select "messages" from the additional menu options.

Regards,
Daniel