cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak Wi-Fi

carni2k5
Dialled in

Wi-Fi downstairs where router is it’s 140mbs but upstairs at the back of the house it’s intermittent or low at 11.7mbs download speed upload speed is 13.8mbs I’ve restarted the router lots of times to no avail. I thought about moving the router towards the middle of the house but sadly the guy that installed the router cut the cable that short it can’t be moved it’s stuck against the front of the house wall, so there’s no way of moving it. I’m paying £81.25 for my package that’s the medium package no extra channels so with all the modern day hype about getting Wi-Fi anywhere in my house no you can’t I can’t even get Wi-Fi in my garden. I checked the status for my area says there’s no issues. My illness means I’m stuck in bed a lot of the time and having little or no Wi-Fi sometimes isn’t ideal. My bedroom TV struggles and freezes when I’m watching Netflix really annoying when it’s constantly pausing. At the beginning of the pandemic I was offered the latest router I accepted and got a message saying it was on its way it never arrived.

is there any advice on how to remedy this

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See this...

--------------

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing their cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point, (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).  Wifi extenders may work too but you can get get better for the same money

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

Client62
Legend

The reality is one Hub is seldom able to offer coverage to all rooms on all floors.

Consider adding Wireless Repeaters or a Mesh or as we have a pair of Wireless Access Points.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi carni2k5,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to hear that you seem to be facing coverage issues, just to piggy back of @Client62's pointer, do you currently have any extenders in place already?

Also what speed are you on? Are wired devices affected?

Let us know,

Kain

carni2k5
Dialled in

Client62 and Kain. I bought a WiFi extender which I placed roughly in the middle of the house but still getting the above problems I believe our speed is supposed to be 150mbs. The lounge where the router is is no problem at 140mbs but as you move towards the rear of the house it gradually drops away, my bedroom upstairs at the rear of the house is poor at 11.7mbs if I’m lucky if I google something on my phone the page stays blank for ages waiting for it to load sometimes I just give up and close it. As I said above trying to watch Netflix say is start stop.

Forgot to say it’s a Hub 3

Hi @carni2k5,

Thank you for expanding. Is this a third party extender that you're referring to, or one that's been provided by us?

Have you downloaded and used the Connect App yet to scan and diagnose the connection?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See this...

--------------

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing their cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point, (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).  Wifi extenders may work too but you can get get better for the same money

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you all my extender is TP-Link I seem to have sorted the problem I moved the TP-Link extender from the front bedroom into my bedroom which is no more than 6ft roughly between where the plug sockets are situated, I did a fresh scan of the WiFi with VM Connect and now I’m getting 142MBs amazing what 6ft difference can do. Thank you all again for your input 

Hey carni2k5, thank you for reaching out and letting us know this, really happy to hear it. 

Please do reach out if you ever need anything in the near future. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

carni2k5
Dialled in

Think I spoke to soon it’s gone out again think my extender has had its day one minute it’s good next it’s down again. So I’m back to square one 12MBs download speed and 15MBs Upload speed in my bedroom. Getting miffed with it can’t google or read emails in bed have to wait until I’m  in lounge where router is. If the cable was a bit longer I could move the router to middle of house.