cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak Signal and crashes

Stephen090704
Tuning in

Hello, around a month ago we switched from Trooli to Virgin Media, since then we've had nothing but issues on a daily basis, the wifi package we brought was the 276mbps package. We're experiencing weak signals across the house aswell as the wifi crashing, my parents had spoken to virgin media multiple times including ordering range extenders. Apon running diagnostics it had stated that every single device in our house had poor signal, We also noticed quite a few errors in the networking logs, we believe that a new router is needed, we're considering just buying a router instead as we've been running into issues daily.

Router: Hub 3

I blurred some things out such as the MAC addresses.
networkingprint.pngimage.pngkrnlprint.jpgkrnl1print.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Re. the Atom Error messages  See messages 4 and 8 in here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/NOTICE-ATOM-is-restarted-due-to-Kernel-oops...

I think your only hope is to get it replaced by a Hub4 or Hub5.  Or perhaps stick the Hub into modem mode and get your own better quality wireless router or Mesh.

Would be worth posting up the Hub data - as per the other posts in that thread so we can take a look.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Stephen090704
Tuning in

Hey there, sorry for the delayed response, here you go hopefully this helps.

v1.png

v2.png

v3.png

  

v4.png

Client62
Legend

I would avoid renting the VM Pods if that means facing a bill hike of £8 each per VM Pod.

if you are paying far better options are available that remain your property and would work with any ISPs Hub or Router.

Hey there, the VM pods are unrelated to the issues I'm having, We're under volt so we don't pay any extra, however I need someone who has the expertise to analyse the data I recently sent above to determine what's wrong. 

Hi Stephen090704,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear about the service issues you are having.

Are you using the hub in modem mode?

Do you have our connect app?

Please pop back to us when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Client62
Legend

The Downstream channels look normal.

The Upstream Power levels are all well outside of the preferred range.

Hub Signal Level Checks

Via http://192.168.0.1/ connect to the Hub in Router mode, do not login in, scroll down to "Check router status"     Use http://192.168.100.1/ for a Hub in Modem mode

Using the Hub's "Check router status" tabs check the Downstream and Upstream power levels are in spec.

Downstream Power Levels of -7 to +7 dBmV are preferred, +10dBmV is the max acceptable, with a SNR of 33dB or higher across all DOCSIS 3.0 channels. Rising error counts across many channels is a current service noise fault.

Upstream
Power Levels of 35 to 49 dBmV are preferred, with QAM 64 Modulation mode across all four to six DOCSIS 3.0 channels.  Seeing QAM 32/16/QPSK is a current service noise fault.  

The router is not in modem mode and the app displays weak signal on every device.

Thanks for coming back to us @Stephen090704.

I understand that you have since been able to speak to our team since your most recent post.

Can you please confirm if this has since been resolved following on from this interaction, or if this is still ongoing?

Thanks.

David_Bn