Menu
Dingledoodie
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Weak Signal = Constant CCTV outages

I live in a small ground floor flat. My Hub 3 has always struggled to reach my bedroom. I've worked out that when in bed with my phone it's only about 15 feet away from the Hub 3 with one thin wall between.  Previously, this wasn't really bothersome to me cuz I don't like to be on my phone in my bed too much anyway and... I can always use my mobile data, which is unlimited.  I know that's not ideal when paying through the nose for broadband but I gave up whinging to Virgin, there's always an excuse, followed by a price hike.  I'm tired of 'fighting' with them.

However, due to some concerning incidents, the police recently issued me with a personal hand held alarm to carry at all times and encouraged me to invest in security cameras.  So, I recently bought Google Nest indoor cameras.  One is on the windowsill of my bedroom, pointing outwards, making it about 20 feet from the router.  The amount of outages is ridiculous.  I get almost constant notifications that my camera has disconnected due to weak signal.  So, the weak signal in there is now VERY problematic.

I ran the signal test on my Virgin Connect app and it confirmed, at that moment, that it couldn't connect and asked if I wanted a booster.  I clicked on all the links and eventually got to a page that said this offer was no longer available to me?  What the heck does that mean?  Virgin supply me with a router that won't serve 20 feet and then won't supply me with a solution???

The HUB 4 is supposed to be better but again... it's not available to me.  I've been with Virgin for YEARS and yet so much is unavailable to me.

I recently requested to leave cuz Sky were offering a cheaper deal (with Netflix included) but Virgin matched the price (though didn't including Netflix) so, stupidly, I stayed.  Then a month later, I got an email saying the price was going up in April.  What a joke.

So, I've been with Virgin for several years, I recently stayed with them, out of some strange sense of loyalty, and yet SO much is unavailable to me despite... weak ass signal and outdated router.

Their emails and letters to me should be addressed, "Dear Mug".

Can someone here please help me find a solution to my security camera connection issues?  My safety is involved this time, so weak signal matters now.  (It's difficult to have a smart home if the basic services from your broadband provider are weak.)

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Weak Signal = Constant CCTV outages

You may not like solution but you need to get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Don't expect the Hub4 to have better WiFi. It doesn't. 

Where is your Hub3 mounted?  Is it in an open place without being screened in any way? Can you try moving it about within the limits of the cable?

Smart home devices are great but no broadband is totally reliable. 

0 Kudos
Irishdexy
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Router Placement is likely the issue here. The Hub 3 isn't great with WiFi but it should do 20ft however something to note is what is around your Hub 3.

Different Materials (such as Walls made of Brick etc) and Devices (Kettles, TV's, Microwaves etc) can cause interference for example if there are any Electrical items around it they can cause blockages so trying to move the Hub 3 around to see what happens is a good idea. If you do this and it still is getting dropouts your next bet is Interference from other People Using WiFi around you. Check the Hub 3 (192.168.0.1) and make sure that the Channel Optimisation is on.

Your Other bet is something that has previously been mentioned get a Router and put the Hub 3 in Modem Mode and use the Router for the WiFi.

0 Kudos
Dingledoodie
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have no idea what any of that means. Lol.

0 Kudos
Dingledoodie
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's mounted where they Virgin installed it and the cable they fitted it with doesn't allow me any wriggle room at all.  

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Is it in the open, or e.g. behind a TV? Can't you even move it about a few cm?

0 Kudos
Dingledoodie
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's not behind anything.  It's on a table about two feet off the floor, and is about two feet from my TV and a foot from my phone.  The cable has a few centimetres of 'give'.  Not long after installation, I pulled it to the very front edge of the table (and hence slightly nearer my bedroom) and that's as far as I can move it.  There's a Philips Hue Bridge near it (for my smart lights) but that has to be there as it plugs into the back of the router.  Nothing else is near it.

0 Kudos
Dingledoodie
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, when Virgin installed all their cabling, they left me no wriggle room.  I've moved it to the vey edge of the table it's on and that's as far as the cable will allow.

Checked and Channel Optimisation is on.

Only one neighbour above me and their router is at the opposite end of building as mine.

I'm only medium tech savvy so I don't really know about turning routers into Modem Modem's and such like.  I guess I'll have to look into it.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you can set up a Philips Bridge you can set up a new WiFi router.  It's not hard.

0 Kudos