Menu
tallmansix
Joining in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

We’ve upgraded your home WiFi

So just had this email below. Given that my hub hasn't rebooted in the last month I'm not sure how any firmware has been changed in the last few days? And it is is in modem mode anyway so really don't understand how they've changed any Wifi settings.

So what has actually changed, really don't like these emails when they don't actually contain any technical details?

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: We’ve upgraded your home WiFi

Likely just a firmware update, perhaps moving towards a newer standard.

Basically it's marketing fluff for something that is more like a requirement.

My guess, a way of justifying the large price increase they gave everyone.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
LJR69
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, I don't always trust emails like this. When they say 'help your data-hungry gadgets dodge WiFi traffic to keep things moving along...' what exactly are they doing? Hopefully not limiting the speed or availability to those 'gadgets'
0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-set-to-transform-in-h... seems to show what they are selling us - err, giving to us for free.

You need to keep in mind, that every day VM's and all of their competition's cost goes down (per gig / phone call / text) so they try to use things like "WiFi" as a selling point.

Most of the things they have "added" are years old.  Band Steering needs to be implemented properly or it can be really bad, like if your 5ghz coverage is so bad that you sometimes drop out.  So it depends on how well it will "Steer".  Not sure how they could add more "channels", that's a defined standard.  And the in-home "roaming" seems to only work for people with pods/repeaters or whatever buzzword they call a wifi repeater these days.

• Channel optimisation 2.0: More channels have been included into the existing channel optimisation technology, which is designed to keep gadgets out of WiFi traffic jams. With more 5GHz channels available, mostly used by newer devices, Intelligent WiFi Plus will reduce WiFi traffic delays even further by finding quieter channels for devices to use.
  • Adaptive band steering: This improvement analyses WiFi use continuously and adapts device connections to help make sure that they are on the right WiFi frequency at the right time. This helps to ensure in-home WiFi is optimised with all gadgets able to perform at their very best.
  • In-home roaming: This slick new feature makes the most of the new Intelligent WiFi Pods to predict which WiFi Pod or Hub is best for a device to connect to. It uses WiFi signal strength around the home and determines how busy things are at certain times of day to choose the best point of access for each connection.
----
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
TAZMANUK
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Strange as they was a complaint on watchdog about how poor the hubs wifi is only get 210 wifi and I'm on a 350 Meg service I had to buy a Netgear orbi mesh system just to get what I pay for. 

I haven't got this email yet but I did try in router mode and still 210 WiFi speed and that's right next to the hub, hence back in modem mode as its rubbish at WiFi is my hub 3 

Yeah Mr White.... Science
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@TAZMANUK wrote:

Strange as they was a complaint on watchdog about how poor the hubs wifi is only get 210 wifi and I'm on a 350 Meg service I had to buy a Netgear orbi mesh system just to get what I pay for. 

I haven't got this email yet but I did try in router mode and still 210 WiFi speed and that's right next to the hub, hence back in modem mode as its rubbish at WiFi is my hub 3 

I think a lot of people have different viewpoints on what is important.

My personal view is that a single link / device speed is not the most important.  To me total throughput is the most important metric, followed by maximum usable range.

It can be difficult to decide what is better.  One Router that will pump out 320 to a single device, but 350 to a combined 4 devices, or the router that can pump out only 100 to each, but 400 combined to 4 devices.

Thank god for Ethernet I say ... 😛 ...  Shame some TV/Media manufacturers are moving away from a fixed Ethernet port and supporting WiFi only. 

If signal quality is really poor then of course that takes priority - and from what I read a lot of people perhaps have issues with signal quality.

----
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Why did VM make the decision to make these hub I ask myself? Like I can think of many far out reasons to simple reasons like BT done it so must VM. It has caused more problems then it solves.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Why a single device that users can just use without hassle? (at least, that's the idea).

Because too many people are like this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st6-DgWeuos

After 20 years Compaq informed users that the "Any" key did not exist.....

----
0 Kudos
tallmansix
Joining in
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that helps explain it. Interesting, sounds like they are starting to catch up with the features that many 3rd party wifi routers have had for years but keeping it simple for the non-technical user base with minimal config options.

Anyway, none of it matters to me, the poor wifi performance of the hub 3 drove me to buy an Asus GT-AC5300 and I've never looked back, but hopefully this will benefit some users.

My thoughts on this

Channel Optimisation 2.0:
I've never found auto channel selection particularly useful on any wifi router as they tend to hop about the channels which then causes other adjacent routers to also hop about in an endless game of musical chairs. I just find the quietest or unused channels with an analyser and manually set them so all my neighbours routers can hop about instead.

Adaptive band steering:
I've been using this for years with my Asus router, it's called "Smart Connect". I can't imagine the VM one being as clever and configurable but it is a good idea. Works really well on my Asus, all high speed AC clients only on the high 5Ghz band, all medium speed N devices on the lower 5Ghz and anything slower / IoT devices etc just gets steered to 2.4Ghz automatically. Works out as a nice even split of devices across all 3 bands with similar wifi tech levels on each so hopefully they play nice with each other.

In home roaming:
Sounds interesting, a bit like the AIMesh from Asus, doesn't always work as well as expected because clients don't always obey the disconnect / roam suggestion and can be sticky to certain access points. If only VM gave some attention to the aerials on their hubs (ie big external aerials) then they probably wouldn't need repeaters / pods as often. I'm not a fan of repeaters anyway because they halve the available bandwidth, I prefer proper ethernet connected access points.

0 Kudos
Turnipmadras
Tuning in
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Just had the same email. 

Looking on the VM website this "Intelligent WiFI" should come with a Pod of some sort - not sure what this Pod does (I assume some kind of WiFi extender?). Do we get sent this Pod thing?