Menu
Sandra32
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

We have intermittent WiFi and only in 1 room.

We have had intermittent WiFi and it only reaches the room with the hub. Boosters stopped it working all together about a year ago. I have called about 100 times but have not been able to speak to anyone. 

How can I get an engineer to come and look at it all?

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: We have intermittent WiFi and only in 1 room.

is it just wifi that you have a problem with?  Do you have any devices that are connected to the hub via ethernet and do they work ok?

VM have replaced their powerline boosters with wifi pods recently - their entry into the mesh networking space.  You can order these by phone (when they come back into stock, which is expected at the end of the month) but they come at a cost of £5 per month unless you're on the ultimate oomph or gig package. 

If it is just a wifi issue, you might also want to consider purchasing your own wifi equipment, which in the long run will be better value than renting the pods. 

if you're eligible for a free pod, then it's worth waiting it out and seeing if it improves things for you.. 

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Engineers won't attend for WiFi issues

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
g0akc
Rising star
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Sandra32 wrote:

How can I get an engineer to come and look at it all?

There are some companies who will send technicians round but you would have to pay - these firms advertise online or some computer shops will offer it.

Here's an example of a firm covering North London;

http://www.commsmaster.com/

I understand Virgin Media will not send someone round to look at Wi-Fi issues - only if there's no broadband (so wired connections not working) where the line into your house is faulty.

Alternatively you could do some investigations yourself  - start by looking with a Wi-Fi analyzer app and the threads on here about how Wi-Fi can be optimised.  Depending on various factors, you may need better wireless equipment or a mesh system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!