Menu
mart1969
Up to speed
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

We have an agreement

Due to recent lock down situation and everyone working from home me and my ( friendly ) neighbor came to an agreement. We both have access to each others wi fi incase anything goes pear shaped with our own provider. Mine obviously is virgin and his is BT. 

Now there have been occasions (rare) where we have had problems and we have switched over to next doors wi fi for short periods and its worked fine, in fact apart from the living room, hallway and cellar ( had it rigged so i get a good signal in the cellar ) the BT wifi signal is stronger throughout the rest of our house than our own Virgin wifi.

Now this isn't a rant against Virgin just wondering Is the BT hub known for being better/stronger than Virgins hub3 for wi fi signal? My neighbor doesn't have any of those discs dotted around the house to boost the signal just his bt hub in the hall.

Just a note next door can pick up my wi fi signal but no way near as strong as his own.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: We have an agreement

I have never seen a head to head comparison, but there is a lot of anectdotal evidence on here, from customers who have been with BT previously, that say that the Hub3 wifi is far poorer than that of their previous BT hub.

If you want to improve the wifi from the Hub3 you could add in a wireless access point or go into modem mode with your own wireless router or Mesh system.

I did that ~20 years ago and have excellent wifi coverage in my property

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
mart1969
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hired some computer guy who plugged a device into to a power socket in the cellar to boost signal and it works great. Just curious how BT signal comes through a brick wall and is a stronger signal than virgins, particularly upstairs. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

See....

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/UNDERSTANDING-KEY-ASPECTS-OF-WiFi/td-p/3870...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos