cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was told contract continuation when moving house- was signed to new contract without my consent

mdpolo
Tuning in

Good evening,

I moved house on July 1st of 2023 and agreed to contract continuation to the new address. This was a fixed term contract ending in September 2023. After trying to give my notice to cancel today I was told I still had 10 months left on my contract and would now have to pay a £500 early disconnection fee. After looking in my account I have found that I was signed onto a new fixed term contract (at a much higher rate) WITHOUT MY CONSENT lasting until July next year! I have messages from previous agents explicitly stating that my contract would be continued from my previous address.

I am shocked at this action as I believe it not to be illegal but also completely unprofessional. Also after reviewing other forums I can see that it has happened multiple times.

If anyone can offer any advice that would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey mdpolo,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your contract since your house move, when you moved did you make any changes to your contract or was it a like for like move with no amendments to your contract other than the address that you have our services registered at?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your quick reply!

It was a ‘like for like move’ yes.

I managed to get in touch with someone and it turns out that I was correct and I had been signed up for a new contract without agreeing to it. I was able to get it rectified but i was overcharged bills in the new house (paying £57 a month instead of £32) so I plan to chase this up. This appears to be a reoccurring issue so it seems like something needs to be done about this. I have requested compensation four not only illegally signing me up for a contract with out my consent but also the massive amount of stress and time wasting this has caused.

Thanks for coming back to us mdpolo, I could look further into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @mdpolo,

Thank you for coming back to myself and Steven over Private Messages! I'm that that we've been able to assist in this instance.

If there's anything else we can do to help going forward, please let us know.

Thank you! 😊 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs