Menu
paulnicholls
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Want to cancel? Read this,.

I'm a solicitor, I deal with all manner of disputes. I have to routinely make complaints on all manner of matters, and am well versed in IT. The only reason I am mentioning that  is that I know a run around when I see it. I see it with Virgin, and it's deliberate. 

My broadband service has been appalling. The cost has rocketed. I was paying nearly £70 for service that was intermittent, When it worked, it was working well at 100mps, but when it didn't, it was absolutely rubbish.

I 'phoned Sky and got TV/Phone and Broadband for £10 more than I am paying to Virgin for all services, the speed will be a guaranteed 50MPS which is more than what I need. Sky were charging me £67 just for TV, so I was happy to get everything for £80 all in - that's by the by. 

Anyway, I went to cancel - went online. A clever perpetual loop applies. There's NO WAY to cancel online. If there is, it's so deeply hidden, no one will find it. You then get a message saying to phone.

So...onto the phone. 

A clever little scam here. You can read it over and over again on the forum. You get to speak to retention....after holding for around 30 minutes. You're then told, after insisting you're leaving that you will just be 'popped through' to cancellation. You then get a robotic voice after another 20 aggravating minutes wait offering your £3 a month less.,

OK, so I am now up to 1 HOUR AND 30 MINUTES ON THE PHONE and eventually I get through to someone. I explain I will complain if I'm not dealt with there and then and will not be kept in the retention loop. A simple two minutes later and you're done. 

This company does not want you to cancel. They make it near on impossible to cancel. I'm certain there will be a helpful reply to this explaining how easy it is to cancel: ignore it. 

There's a very clear protocol to make you **bleep** off and angry at holding. Y9ou'll be cajoled into waiting.

Lessons I've learned. 

1. Be insistent. 

2. Watch the telly while holding. You'll be well over an hour - or two. It's the designed system, just be patient., 

3. Put your phone on charge while you're waiting

4. Don't even bother looking on the web

5. Check the forum to see how utterly aggravating the process is to cancel - you're not alone. 

6. If all else fails, send a posted letter providing a clear indication that you are cancelling - and keep a copy of the letter. 

7. If you're a satisfied customer (i.e willing to pay double what you should) fair play to you!

8. Absolutely disregard the fact that 'Covid' is causing difficulties. With a call centre? People working from home and able to pick up calls? Rubbish! 

Tags (3)
maurbwn
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Want to cancel? Read this,.

I find it annoying one can start a new contract online but cannot cancel the same way. Writing and having to post a letter to cancel in this day and age is ridiculous,  they can just say they didn't receive it or it has been lost in the system, (where you've sent by special delivery.)

I replied to another post about how difficult it is to get through by telephone. (I'd been trying over a week) and mentioned the above. VM replied, saying I had to telephone or write to cancel  :0( 

This is also a pet hate of mine, when they completely ignore what you've just said!

Another thing I find really difficult is that they offer new customers almost 50% cheaper discounts and say in reminder email that I might find a better deal with another provider.  It sounds to me that they actually want me to leave!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@paulnicholls wrote:

I'm a solicitor, I deal with all manner of disputes. I have to routinely make complaints on all manner of matters, and am well versed in IT. The only reason I am mentioning that  is that I know a run around when I see it. I see it with Virgin, and it's deliberate. 

My broadband service has been appalling. The cost has rocketed. I was paying nearly £70 for service that was intermittent, When it worked, it was working well at 100mps, but when it didn't, it was absolutely rubbish.

I 'phoned Sky and got TV/Phone and Broadband for £10 more than I am paying to Virgin for all services, the speed will be a guaranteed 50MPS which is more than what I need. Sky were charging me £67 just for TV, so I was happy to get everything for £80 all in - that's by the by. 

Anyway, I went to cancel - went online. A clever perpetual loop applies. There's NO WAY to cancel online. If there is, it's so deeply hidden, no one will find it. You then get a message saying to phone.

So...onto the phone. 

A clever little scam here. You can read it over and over again on the forum. You get to speak to retention....after holding for around 30 minutes. You're then told, after insisting you're leaving that you will just be 'popped through' to cancellation. You then get a robotic voice after another 20 aggravating minutes wait offering your £3 a month less.,

OK, so I am now up to 1 HOUR AND 30 MINUTES ON THE PHONE and eventually I get through to someone. I explain I will complain if I'm not dealt with there and then and will not be kept in the retention loop. A simple two minutes later and you're done. 

This company does not want you to cancel. They make it near on impossible to cancel. I'm certain there will be a helpful reply to this explaining how easy it is to cancel: ignore it. 

There's a very clear protocol to make you **bleep** off and angry at holding. Y9ou'll be cajoled into waiting.

Lessons I've learned. 

1. Be insistent. 

2. Watch the telly while holding. You'll be well over an hour - or two. It's the designed system, just be patient., 

3. Put your phone on charge while you're waiting

4. Don't even bother looking on the web

5. Check the forum to see how utterly aggravating the process is to cancel - you're not alone. 

6. If all else fails, send a posted letter providing a clear indication that you are cancelling - and keep a copy of the letter. 

7. If you're a satisfied customer (i.e willing to pay double what you should) fair play to you!

8. Absolutely disregard the fact that 'Covid' is causing difficulties. With a call centre? People working from home and able to pick up calls? Rubbish! 

Paying £43.50/month for M350 here as an existing customer (Renewed contract last weekend). No complaints!

0 Kudos
paulnicholls
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It’s a pity we weren’t offered that - or an explanation as to why there had been such poor service. 

£70 odd per month just for Broadband? A VERY UNsatisfied customer. 

0 Kudos