Menu
Zaphod_B
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

WPS Button on Hub 3 is not working - How do I get this sorted?

Title says it all really.

I have a laptop that is having repeated connection problems when other laptops and WiFi devices are fine.  It will either not connect or will connect only to lose the connection after a period of time - sometimes repeatedly. The driver and BIOS in the laptop have been updated to the latest versions and have mode no difference. This is a minor annoyance.

Another WiFi device, a printer, also loses connection.  Turning it off and on again at the mains usually sorts this out. However ...

Recently we have found that the printer will print documents sent to it over WiFi but the scanner application (on three different PCs) can't find the printer. So ...

I press the WPS button on the printer then go to the hub and press the WPS button on the hub.  The green light that normally comes on doesn't.

I go into the Hub > Admin and the Hub Overview says "Wireless (on (2.4 and 5GHz), WPS Error"

The hub has been reset numerous times but I still get this WPS error.

I think this would be sorted with a new hub - but can't see any way of reporting the issue to VM - I have tried phoning but get cut off after I get a message basically saying "We're very busy, try calling back later"

SO

1) Is there any way to report this issue to VM directly (there doesn't even seem to be a way to do this through MyVirginMedia)

2) How do I get a replacement hub?

Thanks

Zaph

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: WPS Button on Hub 3 is not working - How do I get this sorted?

WPS isn't a secure method of connectivity and shouldn't be used

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Zaphod_B
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

... and with a Hub 3.0 you get what other option?!

Z

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Is it just wireless devices dropping off?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Zaphod_B
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

No,

As originally posted, one laptop (out of 4) either has difficulty connecting or frequently loses internet connectivity.  Has latest BIOS and network card driver.

A wireless printer won't connect to the Manufaturer's scanner software even though from panel says it is connected to the network. Verified this by printing a test document.

Tried re-connecting by WPS and after pushing the WPS on both printer and Hub, the green light on the hub DOESN'T illuminate.

Going into the Hub > Home, I get this.

WPS Error.jpg

Seems that the Hub is faulty.  Question is how do I contact VM to organise a replacement??

Tried several times to ring them, get told "very busy" and they ring off!! 

Doesn't seem to be a way of contacting them to flag up this fault.

Zaph

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Zaphod_B wrote:

No,

As originally posted, one laptop (out of 4) either has difficulty connecting or frequently loses internet connectivity.  Has latest BIOS and network card driver.

A wireless printer won't connect to the Manufaturer's scanner software even though from panel says it is connected to the network. Verified this by printing a test document.

Tried re-connecting by WPS and after pushing the WPS on both printer and Hub, the green light on the hub DOESN'T illuminate.

Going into the Hub > Home, I get this.

WPS Error.jpg

Seems that the Hub is faulty.  Question is how do I contact VM to organise a replacement??

Tried several times to ring them, get told "very busy" and they ring off!! 

Doesn't seem to be a way of contacting them to flag up this fault.

Zaph

Try ringing at 08:00 in the morning - lines should be less busy 

You could raise a complaint via the ‘contact us’ page on the VM website though it may take a month to get a fairly empty response, or they may call back eventually 

A forum team member may see this thread and respond

The main alternative to WPS is to enter the WiFi password directly into the device where possible - that can be difficult with some devices such as printers where there’s no keyboard etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Zaphod_B
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

g0akc wrote "The main alternative to WPS is to enter the WiFi password directly into the device where possible - that can be difficult with some devices such as printers where there’s no keyboard etc."

Exactly.  There is no other way to connect this printer apart from the WPS button.

It can take an Ethernet cable but that would mean trailing a cable through two doorways and across a hallway (and across the top of some stairs I might add) and is a distance of (guessing here) about 40 feet (it is just over 39 'strides') - so not really an option.  Neither is moving the printer.

Zaph

0 Kudos
Zaphod_B
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Anything further?

Trying to get through to VM is next to impssible!

Zaph

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Try pressing the WPS button for a 'long' time - say 30 seconds to see if that fixes it?

Factory reset via pin hole button if not done before?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Try a 60 second pinhole reset.

Modern Printers have touchscreens that allow for the manual entering of WiFi passwords as well.

0 Kudos