Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

WIFI intermittent

To say I am annoyed is an understatement!

For at least 4-5 weeks, maybe longer, I have been experiencing intermittent WIFI disconnects across all devices in the house.  When the WIFI disappears it is unavailable for 1-2 minutes at a time but can happen upwards of 10 times a day at varying hours and is causing huge disruption to household members who are trying to work from home as well as disrupting evening use.  When the connection disappears the WIFI light on my Hub 3 is static green and as the WIFI returns later the WIFI light rapidly flashes green.   The power light remains white and on throughout.  I have rebooted the router 2 or 3 times and performed at least 2 factory resets to no effect. I have tried various means of contact for support including Twitter, where I was given a mobile number to text - which I have done on two occasions with no response.  The representative on Twitter suggested I post on here as I would probably get a quicker response than from the text message!  Twitter representative suggested that I download the Virgin connect app, which tells me that the signal strength is good but since the problem isn't with signal strength but with intermittend disconnect,  I fail to see how this is useful.  As I rely on WIFI to work from home the continual poor service is unacceptable as is the inadequate customer service received so far. It has been suggested that an engineer visit may be beneficial but before I book one I want to be sure that they will be able to provide some assistance even if the issue doesnt occur while they are here, otherwise it is a waste of both my time and theirs. I have also asked whether an engineer visit is chargeable but didnt receive an answer to this from your representative on Twitter. Ringing a phone number at 8am isn't an option due to work commitments so this seems to be the last option to get an answer.  Please respond at your earliest convenience as I am seriously considering taking my business elsewhere.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: WIFI intermittent

In order to ascertain whether you just have a wifi issue or a VM network connection issue you will need to give the users on here (we are not VM employees although they do come on here) some more info. If there is a networking problem, then there is no charge for a tech visit - but if its just a wifi only issue they wont usually send a tech out - unless the wifi components of the Hub are borked.  They can look into your Hub stats and make a call on what it is - we cant so we need to troubleshoot

So firstly, when your connection drops out - does it happen on devices connected by ethernet cable directly into the Hub as well as on wifi connected ones? If you dont know - can you test it and see?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I have had the same problem. the only thing ive not used to try and resolve is a pigeon and that would probably be quicker. 

I was told on here in DM that if i wanted to give my 30day notice I couldn't have an engineer..... so ive given my 30 day notice leaving as im out of contract in 30days. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

It happens across all our devices.  The only thing connected via ethernet is our Sky Q box and yes it disappears on there too.

Karen

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Post the Network, upstream and downstream logs from the hubs admin pages as text 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I have no idea what that means or how to do it - not very tech savvy 🙄

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Could you explain, in non tech savvy terms, how to do this please?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Go to 192.168.0.1 in a browser, click router status, then copy/paste back the logs

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

On the base of your hub karen you will see visit HTTP:// numbers and then under that settings password. Type the HTTP:// exactly as it is into your search bar, then the settings password It will open. Go to the  network diagnostics tool and it will run. Takes about a 30 secs if it shows wifi problem. 

I wouldnt bother doing the other thing about copying and pasting as I did that and got no help, plus it makes zero difference to the problem you are describing its something to do with 5gz and 2.5gz channels and different devices.  Im waiting as I type for the 3rd attempt to get an engineer out after 12 days of problems, since changing to the hub4 from a 3 that I bitterly regret changing from. Once they have been out I will put anything I think might be useful. but I would recommend that if you are struggling to get through on faults go to thinking about leaving us and they will get an engineer out... but it might take several failed attempts to eventually get them. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

There's no point running the troubleshooting because it will always say there are "wifi problems", even when you have no wireless devices connected.

Please post the logs as requested.

0 Kudos