Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

WIFI - full bars but 'no internet'

Both my work laptop and personal computer have random drop outs whereby I remain having full bars but the mouse over and icon show no internet.

Has anyone got any useful advice on managing this? A way to change the timeout for it to reconnect perhaps? If I disconnect and manually reconnect it works instantly....

I have a home office setup in the spare bedroom upstairs of a 2 up 2 down small house, Is the VM router really this bad at wifi?

I have searched the forums the TLDR version of my search is VM router trash, buy your own router for wifi. Which I feel could be mitigated by some sort of setting for re-establishing no internet connections?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: WIFI - full bars but 'no internet'

Does a wired connection also drop?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

nope, the playstation and tv are wired and don't have issue.

So clearly/sadly the <5m distance to spare bedroom is too much :S

windows gives both devices full bars for the connection, but a few times a day they have some sort of time out where it says no internet. Other devices work fine at that time, so sometimes its the PC sometimes its the laptop. the weird thing is disconnecting then reconnecting manually instantly fixes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Put the hub into modem mode and use your own router.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the VM router is that bad at WiFi. 

The workaround is to not use the VM router for WiFi 🙂 

Once you have tried a decent WiFi router you'll wonder why you didn't try it sooner. It makes a massive difference. 

0 Kudos