Menu
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: WIFI dropouts even with replacement HUB 3

Occasionally the Hub3 doesn’t respond to ICMP pings so you get blocks of red. 

You don’t need a laptop permanently hooked up to the hub either - the BQM graph works using your public IP address not internal LAN addresses. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Do the graphs look normal? As in no connection issue? Here is the graph from the last two days. There is a red line on the 22nd. If that is the case, I will go-ahead and buy a mesh system. 

whyslownet_0-1592991294295.pngwhyslownet_1-1592991305686.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post Whyslownet.

If this is just being experienced through WiFi connections have you ensured your Hub is out in the open, upright and at least 1 metre away from other electrical devices if possible? It may also help to go through our WiFi help page here.

Thanks, Emily.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily, Apologies for late reply. All devices are connected via WIFI and what I was experiencing was via WIFI. I connected a laptop to router via ethernet and left it on as suggested above and have displayed the graph in my previous replies. There are obviously a few red marks which suggests dropped packets, but I am not sure what to make of it. Does it suggest there is an issue with the connection to the house? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying whyslownet

I am more than happy to take a look at this for you 
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hello whyslownet

Thanks for passing security 

I have had a look at a few things from here and basically some of your devices are connected to the incorrect WiFi range 

If you csnGo into the Hub3 settings and in smart wifi disable the "channel optimisation". Then, in advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's (just change 'em to xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) with (the same) password you like, save settings and restart Hub. Over wifi you can then select the network that you want each device to connect to individually. iDevices work much better on the 5GHz network. If there is no improvement you can revert back to default with a factory, pinhole reset of the Hub

Gareth_L

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth. Thanks for reply. Channel optimisation is already disabled in my router. Can you confirm what you mean by iDevices?  'iDevices work much better on the 5GHz network.'

As mentioned above, I have setup an old router as my secondary router. There is an ethernet cable connected directly from Virgin media Hub -> to a TP-Link power line adaptor -> which is then connected to the second router. Even when devices are connected to this router, I am experiencing drop outs. 

Let me know what you mean by iDevices, then I will change the SSIDs for 5 ghz and 2.4 as you suggested. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 18 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Sorry whyslownet

I meant some Devices work much better 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 19 of 29
Flag for a moderator

in my head... iDevices = iPhone, iPad, iWatch, iMac... i.e Apple gear 🙂

And I can confirm they work much better (faster & ore "stable") on the 5GHz band.

My Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course). However, on wifi, they only get that when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the technology!

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 29
Flag for a moderator

hi, i had the wifi setup like this for over 2 weeks now, and I have to say it is terrible now. Way more frequent disconnects. I have been dropped out of conference calls 3-5 times. Previously it had never happened.  Phones are always getting disconnected. 

0 Kudos