Menu
Gazwah
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

WIFI drop-outs

My WIFI keeps dropping out.  Sometimes only briefly but enough for me to loose my work VPN and is somewhat embarrassing in meetings, sometimes the router completely throws it's toys out and reboots itself.  The WIFI drop-outs are suffered by all WIFI connected devices.

Solid connection via ethernet hardwire.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: WIFI drop-outs

Try some Wi-Fi housekeeping - including the following ;

• use a free analyser app and see if there are neighbouring hubs causing issues/same channel
  • Try changing channels but avoid overlapping channels
  • Try using 5GHz rather than 2.4 GHz or vice versa
  • Make sure Wi-Fi drivers are all up to date
  • Reboot hub
  • Factory reset hub
  • Get your own router and use hub in modem mode

In the short term can you use the wired connection for your work stuff or key activities?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

What hub is it and how old is it?

The WiFi part of mine failed and required a new hub!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
Gazwah
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, will try some of these. Have reset to factory settings already, but I’m not buying another hub. 

0 Kudos
Gazwah
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

It’s a hub 3, at a guess, 3yrs old. 

0 Kudos
Gazwah
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Can you advise on an analyser app please?

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hello Gazwah, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your WIFI services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. I understand that your problems are isolated to just the WIFI signal, Ethernet connections are stable which is good! But I understand your frustration when the WIFI signal drops.

Some questions I would like to ask are -

• Does the WIFI drop out when you exit the room the Hub is in? What about other parts of the house i.e. upstairs, garage, kitchen?
  • If the WIFI drops even when close to the Hub, do all devices disconnected at the same time? 
  • When it occurs, do any lights come on the Hub to indicate an issue?
  • Have you tried using the Connect App to scan for WIFI weak spots in your home?
  • Also, have you thought about getting some of our Intelligent WIFI pods

I have also taken a look at your WIFI services on my side and I cannot find any indication that there is something wrong with the Hub itself.

Please let me know the answers to my questions!

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Gazwah wrote:

Can you advise on an analyser app please?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=abdelrahman.wifianalyzerpro&hl=en_GB&gl=US

Is the one I use - I believe there is an apple version if you are that way inclined!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Gazwah
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

• Does the WIFI drop out when you exit the room the Hub is in? What about other parts of the house i.e. upstairs, garage, kitchen?

We have weak spots in the house, mainly upstairs, but the drop outs are not affected by these - it happens in all rooms even where the signal is strong.

• If the WIFI drops even when close to the Hub, do all devices disconnected at the same time? 

Yes

• When it occurs, do any lights come on the Hub to indicate an issue?

Sometimes the WIFI light comes on, more often than not, there is no indication on the hub.  There are times that the WIFI drops out and the hub then decides to reboots itself.

• Have you tried using the Connect App to scan for WIFI weak spots in your home?

No.  Weak spots are not the issue as this happens to all devices irrespective of location in the house.

• Also, have you thought about getting some of our Intelligent WIFI pods?

No.  I am assuming that these require a WIFI signal from the hub to work??  How can these benefit me if the hub WIFI is unreliable?  I'm also not willing to spend more money when to me it appears that the hub is more than likely at fault.

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hello Gazwah

Thanks for the reply 

Can I just ask if you get any dropouts on a wired connection at the same time as the Wifi drops?

Gareth_L

0 Kudos