Menu
DanRooney17
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

WIFI Boosters

So after 2hrs 30 on the phone and going in circles i hope someone can help here!

When we first joined Virgin Approx 18months maybe longer ago. 

We were told the router needed to be as near to line coming in house as possible. With the router there it renders the rear of house unable to get WiFi which most o fixed equipment (PC Xbox and 2nd set top box). As part of the quality checks the tech identified this and returned in a couple of days to fit booster. Personally i didnt think ideal but job done its worked fine.

To day i discover the box in rear house has stopped working. No drama follow the troubleshoot quickly becomes clear its dud....

Fine ring up help line.. long wait due covid messages states again. Fine.

So explain the issues and we start following troubleshooting again. Annoying but procedure i guess so i go  with.

So as i stated at the start the call the lady on the phone confirms the internet connection is fine. (Which i knew)...

Then she drops the bombshell i cant have virgin media booster as they not resgistered on my account so basically the istalling tech cant of done when putting them in... so she refuses to acknowledge them... so we continue to check the hub and suprisingly she confirms it fine. Im transfer to tech guy who basically confrim the booster is faulty and needa replacing... againi knew that before the call! Back to customer care for another 40min before i gave up.

At this point im furious as not  im left with practically useless internet set up i. House with very little help offered by the phone support team. At least with Skys connection it was central and no boosters needed!..

Can any of the online team help or at least get me a soloution... paying £££ for package which is partly pointless and less then helpful feedback from Customer care!

Im at the point of moving back to Sky and canceling Virgin as it not fit for purpose!

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: WIFI Boosters

If your wired connection is working fine then you’re getting what you pay for.

Boosters are no longer on offer and they have been replaced by the pods. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
DanRooney17
Joining in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The pods were mentioned. Just been looking in to them.

I havent explained my fustration quite as clear as i should have.

The women seemed happy to help untill she saw Booster wasnt registered when installed. It them seemed very much like your on own not our problem. Thats the bit thats got my goat most. Which too me feels like an option has been pull out from under me because of a process not being done by virgin.

So as Virgin supplied item im of the mindset ok is their fix or upgrade that we can discuss to move forward. What i got was it cant be virgin its not regiestered.. which in my eyes is less than helpful.

So im guessing its just case of those pods or 3rd party option esstentially! 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Engineers shouldn’t just be installing boosters.

Unless you’re on a package that qualifies for them to be free then they’re chargeable start £5 per month.

If they’re not on your account and should be chargeable to you then I see why the rep was kind of in a position to refuse to help further.

If they’re not listed on your account they can’t help with them.

The third-party route will always be the better option - but look at a better router or mesh system or, if capacity allows if, running some Ethernet cabling and installing a wireless access point or two. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Richw1982
Superfast
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Depending on what TV package you have the Boosters are around £3 a month rental, I think sometimes as a goodwill if the charge would have been applied the local AFM may have given you a pair, to help you out but as Gary said above, there would be no support for it as its not on account.  Yes 3rd party mesh system is one of the better options something like TP-Link Deco range 

0 Kudos
DanRooney17
Joining in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thank you already this exchange has been far more helpful then 2hrs i spent on the phone.

Had that been explained id understand the issue better.

Im trying to figure out the best soloution now. And its a bit of a learning curve for me with regard signal boosters etc. I have lengths of ethernet cable and still have the old router. Could that be piggy backed on to the virgin hun or will that just confuse the devices etc

0 Kudos
DanRooney17
Joining in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks as with Gary your breif message has been more than helpful.

The post written in fustration probely implies i expectted a free fix or free replacements. Far from it just an explaination or advice etc would helped

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What package are you on, out of interest?

Boosters/Pods are only free on Gig1 and Ultimate Oomph bundles.

0 Kudos
DanRooney17
Joining in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

It was top oomph package we signed up too currently with M600 broadband

0 Kudos
DanRooney17
Joining in
Message 10 of 20