cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WFH using VPN:Zscaler

RR2023
Tuning in

Hi all. 

I've been with Virgin over 3 years and for the last 4 weeks each time whilst working from home my connection has been dropping whilst using my work laptop. The speed connection drops so much that my entire laptop is lagging so much that I'm unable to use any of the systems/e-mail properly. 

This is only affecting my work laptop device at home which is using Zscaler and I have no issues with my work laptop when using it at work in the office. When the connection drops massively at home, iI have tried using a cable to plug directly into the router which makes no difference. My personal laptop, mobile etc seem to have no issues at home.

My work IT have advised that Zscaler is being blocked/restricted by Virgin and should be "Whitelisted". I have been going back and forth with Virgin but currently do not have a solution. 

Has anyone else experienced this issues and how was it resolved please ? 

thanks 

15 REPLIES 15

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@RR2023 wrote:
  • Sorry do you mean using another router being plugged into virgin router when it's in modem mode ?

No need for a router just connect a PC and see if that works before getting a router

---------------------------------------------------------------

Are you able to advise which router you are using whichi is connected into the virgin router in modem mode ?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I have many the newest I have is a Zyxel USG FLEX 200 but then you need a AP for wifi or just get any home router like Zyxel Armor G5 or ASUS RT-AX53U with switch if needed support is much better then VM with VM only needing to accept DHCP, ARP and all traffic going in to hub out to the internet and incoming traffic out the ethernet port with the exception of some port blocks in modem mode.

bennyg3000
Tuning in

Hey RR,

I am having this exact issue as well which is rendering my work laptop unusable. I was using an Eero mesh set up and thought this was the culprit but even turning this off and going back to using the VM hub hasn’t fixed the issue so, from your experience I assume it’s an issue with how VM handles zScaler.

Did you ever find a fix?

B

NetRuss
Joining in

I am also having the exact same issue with Virgin broadband whilst I had no issue with Sky.  I have had my work IT look at it but they are unable to fix it yet.  It makes wfh very trying.  Surely Virgin could do something about compatibility with zscaler.  I have also tried ethernet into a virgin hub spot.  I am not IT savvy so anything beyond plugging or turning off is beyond me!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Ladies and Gentlemen of virgin media community.
Use modem mode.
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, modem mode would be it.
The long term benefits of modem mode have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience...
I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power of Ethernet and speed; oh nevermind; you will not understand the power of Ethernet and speed until they have faded.
But trust me, in 20 years you'll look back at wifi and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much faster Ethernet lay before you and how fabulous Ethernet is...
You're wifi is slower then you Imagine.

Don't worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum.
The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind.
The kind that not using modem mode 4pm on some idle Tuesday.

Do one speed test everyday that your getting your speed.

Sing.

Don't be reckless with other people's network, don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don't waste your time on wifi speed test;
Sometimes you're ahead,
Sometimes You're behind.
The race is long, and in the end, it's only wifi speed.

Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults;
If you Succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old cables, throw away your old wifi adapter.

Stretch.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your
Life.
The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't.

Get plenty of calcium.

Be kind to your old PC, you'll miss it when its gone.

Maybe you'll use modem mode, maybe you won't, maybe you'll have a hub 5 one day, maybe you won't, maybe you'll be jitter free, maybe you'll have fast stable wifi one day
Whatever you do, don't Congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either.
Your choices are half chance, so are everybody else's.
Enjoy your modem mode, Use it every way you can... Don't be afraid of it, or what other people Think of it,
It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own...

Dance... even if you have nowhere to do it but in your own living room.

Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.

Do NOT use router mode, it will fail .

Brother and sister together we'll make it through
Someday your spirit will take you and guide you there
I know you've been hurting, but I've been waiting to be there
For you.
And I'll be there, just tell me now, whenever I can.
Everybody's free.

Get to know your WAN IP, you never know when they'll be gone for good.

Be nice to your network;
Its the best link to your past and the network you know now to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but for the precious few you should hold on.
Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard;
Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.

Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths, modem mode is good, router mode is not you too will get old, and when you do you'll fantasize that when you were young modem mode was reasonable, router mode was not and the internet is free.

Know the internet was free.

Don't expect anyone else to support you.
Maybe you have a trust fund, Maybe you have a wealthy spouse; but you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your network, or by the time you're 40, it will not be cable managed .

Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on using modem mode...