cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WD My Cloud

Frustrate963
Tuning in

Hi,

I got myself an 8TB WD MyCloud at the weekend. Due to kids I'd lost lots of data on two drives and had to go wireless. Got it to connect via my Superhub 3 at the third attempt.

Wondering if anyone has experience of using these. At present the machine, the drive and the Superhub 3 are all within 4ft of each other.

1. At best the transfers are 3MB/sec. More often it's 1.5-2MB/sec. Is that what I'd expect with the right equipment and everything set up correctly?

2. I downloaded 35GB of data from a Cloud Storage account that I want to get rid of. When I started moving it from the SSD it looked okay, but about 2GB into the job everything just froze. I left the computer for about an hour but nothing. Tried force-closing Windows Explorer, nothing. Tried doing a full shutdown of the machine via 'Run' but the wheel just went round for 15mins. Had to force close the computer using the power button.

Machine restarted and I retried it in chunks, but the transfers were now going in KB/sec, with lengthy spells at 0KB/sec. Once the files were across, I re-booted the machine, the drive, and the Superhub 3. We're now back up to the 1.5-3MB/sec mark.

Contacted Western Digital. "Oh. Hub. We don't deal with that."

Told them it's a Router but he didn't know the maker or the brand. The drive seems okay, but I've had issues before with Virgin equipment seemingly clogging up and needing restarted, and I'm thinking the Superhub might really hate this thing - therefore I'll need either a more up to date model of the Superhub, or I'll have to go out and buy a router, which I can't afford.

---

So I've got 7 days left to take a load of data off a Cloud drive (3TB) and move it over. Not only that, I host the back catalogue of a sports magazine on qBitTorrent, and everything's now saying there's no resume data and it won't check/resume anything. There's 289 issues of that and I'm thinking I'll have to remove the app and re-add everything manually.

6 REPLIES 6

Keezza
On our wavelength

Make sure you're using 5ghz. plug the MyCloud in via Ethernet if possible and make large transfers via Ethernet where possible.

Will switch to 5GHz right now and keep transfers <10GB.

Is it the Superhub that limits this? If I went out and bought a router would I be able to get quicker and larger transfers through?

What did you buy?

WD My Cloud 8TB Network Storage Drive.

Only way to stop the tiny terrors hoofing the storage to the ground!

As the WD is only a few feet from the hub, why are you not using an Ethernet cable?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

yeah ethernet is the best call. However over wifi you should still be able to attain some pretty decent speeds. mind, this depends on what else is going on in your network as the virgin speeds can easily saturate the wireless.

You must plug in any NAS device really via Ethernet. You will experience terrible speeds purely over wifi between both as the wifi has to do double duty as well as serve everything else in your home.

For initial transfers use Ethernet only, that way you can saturate the 1gig connection there, then from there on you can use over wifi to the ethernet connected NAS and you shouldn't get such a bad experience.

Make sure your SSIDs are separated in the 2.4 and 5ghz bands. The 5ghz, will greatly improve speed.