Menu
carl_pike
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Vurgin HUB 4 - MODEM Mode - Slower than router mode

I have just upgraded to the HUB 4 with 1gb download service. When i did a speed test in router mode i am getting around 400mb download; however, when i change to modem mode and connect the supplied CAT6 ethernet cable to my NetGear Nighthawk R8000, the speed drops to around 200mb. 

Can someone help me?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vurgin HUB 4 - MODEM Mode - Slower than router mode

What speeds do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@carl_pike wrote:

I have just upgraded to the HUB 4 with 1gb download service. When i did a speed test in router mode i am getting around 400mb download; however, when i change to modem mode and connect the supplied CAT6 ethernet cable to my NetGear Nighthawk R8000, the speed drops to around 200mb. 

Can someone help me?

Netgear routers have been known to come with QoS enabled by default - find these settings in the management pages and check them  🙂

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@carl_pike wrote:

Can someone help me?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-X6-R8000-slow-speeds-for-wired-and... 

0 Kudos
carl_pike
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That link doesn't find my router?

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@carl_pike wrote:

That link doesn't find my router?

Because it's in modem mode.

The site only works in router mode.

0 Kudos
carl_pike
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Speed to the Virgin Hub is 1078

Speed to my laptop is 841

This is using SamKnows

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@carl_pike wrote:

Speed to the Virgin Hub is 1078

Speed to my laptop is 841

This is using SamKnows

Sounds about right.

0 Kudos
carl_pike
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

So why when its in modem mode connected to my nighthawk, the wifi download is only around 200mb, however when i use HUB 4 as a router my download in 600+?

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@carl_pike wrote:

So why when its in modem mode connected to my nighthawk, the wifi download is only around 200mb, however when i use HUB 4 as a router my download in 600+?

Not sure.

Put the HUB in modem mode, turn it off, then plug your laptop directly into it via ethernet and power back on (The HUB WILL provide internet access for one device when in modem mode, whether it be a PC, Laptop, Router, etc).

Then try a speed test, other than the SamKnows Real Speed, and see what you get.

0 Kudos