Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin's Full Fibre Broadband

Good Afternoon, 

I have spoken to Virgin and they have told me that the broadband I can receive is full fibre or "fibre optic" as they call it. 

According to the sales department, I am able to achieve speeds of up to 350Mbps download but an upload speed of 36Mbps with there M350 package. 

If this was full fibre, they should be offering symmetrical speeds. It sounds as if it is FTTC but does anyone know the cabling they use from there in to the premises, CAT 5, CAT 6 for example?

Thanks,

Harry

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin's Full Fibre Broadband

its fibre to your house then its converted to coax for the modem and tivo

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The vast majority of VM's service if "hybrid fibre-coaxial".  When it works it's very good, but it won't be symmetrical until VM adopt the standard "DOCSIS 4", and that's unlikely until circa 2025.

What you get is a DOCSIS cable connection into your home, and the hub converts that to wifi and ethernet connections.  The "Cat" standard is up to you, bit in reality is only rarely material.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Why “should” it be symmetrical?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos