cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media connect app stopped working? iOS

thommo41
Joining in

Afternoon all. Only been live with VM 2 days, the app was downloaded on the first day, detected the hub fine, and I was really happy with the functionality to be honest. Kind of means my old whole home wifi kit is redundant! Or so I thought. Next day, the app doesn't work, little warning triangle next to the broadband menu, says "we can't find the hub". I had the app on my phone and my iPad, working just fine, now it doesn't work on either. Rebooted the hub/router a couple of times for the fun of it, no luck. Removed the app on my iPhone, reinstalled it, no luck. So, is this a quirk then? I really don't want to live with this for very long at all before complaining, as frankly the functionality is bang on but pointless if it doesn't work, real-time, every time. Pausing a device and it stopping working, assume it'd pause the device for good? Or the other way is no good either, pausing devices that stop being paused all the time while the app has a barny? Any feedback much appreciated before I contact support. I am an IT tech with 20 years experience, happy to hear the basics but I tried them all already I'm fairly sure. Not tried accessing router directly over web IP, will do tonight though.

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The VM Connect app is an exercise in frustration.  I tried it once and it didn't work, so it was uninstalled, and that was a lesson learned. 

However this was only in the interim before I stuck the Hub in modem mode, as I have done for all previous incarnations of Hubs.  I though at least I should give it a try.

Yes, you can do almost everything in the Hub's web console that you can in the app, apart from the wifi scan for ordering Pods.

Personally, as you have IT experience, I would suggest you get a decent router, use your old "no longer redundant" AP's and stick the Hub in modem mode.  Honestly, you will never look back.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yeah I kind of began to think the same, thing is I get decent-ish Wifi from the VM hub compared to the BT home hub I had before, so much so that even without the WH mesh kit in play, my Ring cams worked. Result. Then I saw all the management (device grouping, schedules, pausing etc) and thought I could literally save myself a few KWh on the old 'leccy, and cash in on the old BT WH kit - but maybe not. I do feel like I need to have a go at raising this with VM support first then, as it's clearly got the hallmarks of a great all in one solution out of the box, with some really quite poor application. Thanks again for at least confirming the app is likely going to be an issue, saves me some more time tonight.

Life is too short to wait for VM to correct defects in apps or Hub firmware.

Be aware any form of Apple's Private Browsing VPNs / IP Hiding will ensure the Connect app can not work.

Take a look at this post for clues with VM Connect App.    

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-not-connecting-to-connect-app/m-p/52534...

And just like that, it worked again. Got home last night and tried it, worked fine. The joys. Will see if it's as flaky going forward over the next week or so then I guess it's back to the BT WH I go!

Hey @thommo41, thanks for reaching out to us and a warn welcome to the Virgin Media forums! 🙂

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the Connect App you are experiencing 😞
Please can you try the following and let us know how you get along:

For your Apple device, you can try this: Open Settings > Tap your name > Tap iCloud > Tap Manage Settings > Tap the Connect App > Tap Delete Data.
For your Android device, you can try this: Open settings > Apps > Connect App > Storage > Clear data / Clear cache.

If you are using an Android device can you please ensure you have the following settings enabled:
Location Permissions (Settings > Apps > Virgin Media Connect > Permissions)
Nearby devices (Settings > Google devices & Sharing > Scan for nearby devices).

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs