cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media connect app - Can't enable wifi hotspots

tuckova
Joining in

I'm a Virgin Mobile customer and I'm trying to enable hotspot access on my Pixel 4a via the Virgin Media connect app and it's failing every time I click on the "Get set for wifi hotspots" after a short period of time with "no server response" despite a strong wifi and 4g data connection as per the screenshots below.

account.jpg  connect.jpg  error.jpg 

I've followed all the advice I can find like:

• Confirming the hotspot account status and that it is retrieving all my other account details correctly
  • Checking for existing saved wifi networks and removing them (there aren't any as it's a new phone)
  • Confirmed that the app has the required permissions
  • Deleting the app cache/data and reinstalling the app
  • Tried activating at multiple time across various days in case it's an issue at the server end

Is there anything else I can try or does the application simply not work on android 11? (note: I've recently installed the app on an android 8 device with a different sim card and that worked fine).

160 REPLIES 160

What the hell is going on with this?  I had it working fine on my galaxy s7 but every phone after this gives me that annoying error saying something went wrong. And that's it. 

Why is it that 6or7 years later the problem hasn't changed at all.  These hotspots were so useful to me.. I'm not under contract with vurgin no more and I'm just not paying the bills any more.  The second you fix this I'll pay the 193 pounds in arrears. 

Hurry up and either disconnect me so I can get ac deal with a company that don't lie or just fix this.

Hello edisg

Thanks for posting - Can you advise us what device you're using and the software on it please?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hello marty3

Thanks for posting, I am sorry you feel this way. We're not able to disconnect accounts from the forums and it wouldn't be a valid reason to not pay your bill either. You'll need to speak to the cancellations team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 or via WhatsApp Messenger on 07305327112 and we can assist further.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Jarric
On our wavelength

I have to say it's absolutely disgraceful that, nearly 2 years after this thread was created, there's still no fix for this. Virgin still advertise their amazing WiFi hotspot coverage all over the UK, but anyone on a remotely new version of Android can't access them. Can you please confirm when this will be resolved, or would you prefer that I take this to the advertising standards authority and Ofcom?

Hey @Jarric,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

I'm sorry that this issue is still ongoing at the moment, we dont have any other updates at the moment as to when this issue will be resolved, I will pass this onto the team that is looking into this.

Regards,

Steven_L

Jarric
On our wavelength

How can it be possible that we haven't had a single update in 2 years? Is there actually a team looking into this? It seems inconceivable that if there were a team they could have made zero progress after this much time.

Hi @Jarric thank you for reaching back out and we are so sorry that you are feeling frustrated. 

We're sorry this still isn't working for you on the new update. We are aware there has been issues with hotspots on the Android 12. 

We are still working to get this resolved for you as soon as possible, and we are so sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you again for your time. 

HandyHat
On our wavelength

I looked into reporting the Hotspot ads to the ASA but there's some legalese here: https://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/our-mobile-network/free-wifi-hotspots.html#:~:text... that means that they aren't promising that the app will work on all OS versions. Are the hotspots advertised anywhere else?

I am, however, going to be filing a formal complaint with Virgin, and would recommend that everyone else does so too. There's instructions to do this here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/complaints

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Sorry about the issues caused with this HandyHat,

May I ask are you only experiencing issues with Android devices?

Thanks,

Kain

Jesus Kain - you lot are just trolling now.