cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin hub extra Ethernet ports

Bobbytrebor40
Joining in

Hi new to the forum and not very good with tech. Q, I’ve had a garden room built and want to get my service in it. 

what’s the cheapest and easiest way, 

my Virgin hub could do with some additional Ethernet ports do Virgin supply a hub / router that’s has additional ports ?

thank you in anticipation 

rob 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bemak187
On our wavelength

Hi.  No all the hubs basically have 4 ports on them.  The best option if you need more ports is a network switch.  You can get a good one for fairly little money.  Something like a Netgear or TP Link.  For your garden room them best way to do it is to run Ethernet out to it.  Wi-Fi likely wont cut it that distance and through exterior walls.  You could use outdoor rated/direct burial ethernet cable for the run.  If you aren't techy then you could get someone in to do it for you.  AV installer or some electricians will do it but to an exterior building the best way is an ethernet run.  You could then put a switch on the end of it and connect up what ever you want, computers, TV boxes even a WiFi access point.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

Bemak187
On our wavelength

Hi.  No all the hubs basically have 4 ports on them.  The best option if you need more ports is a network switch.  You can get a good one for fairly little money.  Something like a Netgear or TP Link.  For your garden room them best way to do it is to run Ethernet out to it.  Wi-Fi likely wont cut it that distance and through exterior walls.  You could use outdoor rated/direct burial ethernet cable for the run.  If you aren't techy then you could get someone in to do it for you.  AV installer or some electricians will do it but to an exterior building the best way is an ethernet run.  You could then put a switch on the end of it and connect up what ever you want, computers, TV boxes even a WiFi access point.