Menu
AlD
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin 'filtering' ports before traffic even gets to me

Hi all,

can anyone shed any light on whether we can/cannot enable/disable Virgins filtering or otherwise interfering with ports before the connection gets as far as my hub?

Ports 135 (dcom-scm), 137 (netbios-ns), 138 (netbios-dgm), 139 (netbios-ssn) and 445 (microsoft-ds) are showing as being filtered before this traffic even gets to me.

Don't get me wrong, I know WHY they filter these ports for the most part, but surely it should be an option that we can enable/disable ourselves should we want to.

I'm not using any of these ports, and seemingly I wouldn't be able to if I wanted/needed to, but the fact remains that several different external port scans reveal these ports to be filtered, all other ports show as expected.

I have used a number of online ports scanners and they all show the same results, these ports or being fettled with in some way by Virgins network/routers.

I have also used port scanners from remote locations to scan these ports (on my own IP) which also give the same results. 

In addition, during a time when my hub was not even connected to the network or powered on these ports continued to show as filtered, while others showed as expected.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but these filtered ports are showing to any passing, would-be, nefarious sorts, that an IP address is indeed in use and that that IP address may be worth 'poking' some more to see what it gives up?

Does anyone know if this is something that we can do ourselves from our online account or something that can be requested to be turned off?

Thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin 'filtering' ports before traffic even gets to me

No you can't change it and no you can't request it to be changed either

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

If you look at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-blocked-internet-ports this will explain why it isnt allowed on those ports.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

them ports should NEVER be open to the internet. Its correct that they should be blocked.
Its blocked due to a massive security threat form them ports
0 Kudos
AlD
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

thanks for your replies.

I know those ports shouldn't be exposed to the WAN and I know why, I also know why Virgin (and other ISP's) do it, however, given that 99% of internet users these days are behind some kind of router/hub, either provided by the ISP with their service or otherwise, which affords them some level of protection via NAT, I'm surprised that it's not an option that could be disabled if required on a per-account basis.

It is what it is I suppose, I asked the question and got my answer, so thank you all for your time.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

if you require them ports open you really need a vpn to be safe.

NAT is not going to help people when IPv6 is widely used. Every device with a public IP scares me 🙂
0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you must send data to a machine on your LAN on these ports you have to change the sender ports and use port forwarding on your router. Still not advised.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@AlD wrote:

It is what it is I suppose, I asked the question and got my answer, so thank you all for your time.

You know the answer before the question.😛 

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos