forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
julesthebit
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Virgin fibre broadband with SuperHub 3 - DHCP returns unusable IP addresses

Hi Hivemind

I recently became a Virgin fibre customer. I have a Superhub 3. Autocorrect tried to make that "Superb". It isn't 😞

When I connect my devices, instead of a 192.168 etc IP address DHCP gives me an unusable IP address such as 10.0.1.26 which won't give me an internet connection.

If I turn off wifi my devices and turn it back on 10 or 15 times I might eventually get a useable IP address, until the lease expires and the problem comes back. If I leave home, when I come back my phone tries to reconnect and I get the same problem.

I've tried factory resetting the hub, putting the hub in modem mode and using a TP-Link Archer, changing the DNS server, none of that fixes it.

The problem happens on everything I have - MacBook Pro, iPhones, iPads, Android phones, Windoze PCs, HomePod, Amazon Echo, Smart TVs, Sonoff and Urbanears kit.

The Virgin phone & online help facilities go in circles and I've not succeeded in talking to a human. 

The only solution I have found that works is to allocate fixed ip addresses to everything, but with the amount of kit I have that's impractical.

Help!

Jules

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin fibre broadband with SuperHub 3 - DHCP returns unusable IP addresses

Do you have HomePlug - Network Via Mains?

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
julesthebit
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

I have, using TP-link Ethernet over mains devices but they are all disconnected at the moment to keep things simple.

Jules
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@julesthebit wrote:

I have, using TP-link Ethernet over mains devices but they are all disconnected at the moment to keep things simple.

That may explain why you got a IP like 10.0.1.26 you been connecting next door. 

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
julesthebit
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I don't understand that.

I've definitely connected to my hub's SSID, not next door. the Ethernet over power devices are all physically removed.

Jules

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@julesthebit wrote:

I don't understand that.

I've definitely connected to my hub's SSID, not next door. the Ethernet over power devices are all physically removed.

Jules

in which case it sounds like you perhaps have another device on your network that is acting as a DHCP server.. what other things are connected to your network?

edit: when you get the 10.x address - what does it set your default gateway to? what happens if you browse to that address in a web browser...?

Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

10.x.x.x is not an invalid IP address, it’s for local network nor WAN use and should work perfectly, unless you have hard wired addresses in any devices. It’s possible, but should not happen, that you have been given a reissued Hub3 that has not been fully reset. To reset the Hub3 you do a pin hole reset and hold in the switch for a full 60 seconds. The hub will reboot and you must NOT power cycle it yourself. The default setting for you local LAN will then be 192.168.0.0/24.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
julesthebit
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Tudor

I agree that addresses in the 10. range are valid, but all my devices report that they do not have internet access when they are allocated IP addresses within that range. They are valid, maybe useable on my LAN, but unusable for internet access, which is why I chose the title of this thread.

I've done that pin-hole factory reset several times, it doesn't fix the problem.

What also puzzles me is that the problem also occurs with the hub in modem mode and using my own router.

There's more to this than meets the eye.

Regards, Jules

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@julesthebit wrote:

What also puzzles me is that the problem also occurs with the hub in modem mode and using my own router.

There's more to this than meets the eye.

Regards, Jules

My vote is still for the additional DHCP server somewhere on the lan. 

apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

run "ipconfig /all" and post the results on here