Menu
robbo_281
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin cable connected to outbuilding consumer unit

Hello, I have recently moved in to a new house that has an annex in the rear garden. There is a 2 core virgin cable routed from the main house down to the annex. 1 of the 2 cores is connected to the consumer unit/fuse board. Previous owners left a plug in wireless adapter but I cannot figure out how to get it to broadcast the WiFi. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin cable connected to outbuilding consumer unit

Are you sure its a VM cable connecting to the Consumer unit !

The wifi adapter will have been plugged into a normal power point - are you sure the cable you refer to is not just a power lead to the annex? There may also be a VM connection cable (unlikely) or an ethernet cable running in there as well

Post some photos so that the experts on here can comment

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
robbo_281
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

definitely not a power cable; it originates from a Virgin media box.

I took the cover off the consumer unit. Cable in question is NOT connected to it. It goes through a hole in the wall behind the consumer unit. I assume to the TV aerial outlet?

IMG_20210129_194257.jpg

IMG_20210129_195129.jpg

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

makes some more sense - so where does the non-annex end of the VM cable terminate - can you trace it back?

I take it the bottom pic is the annex - so what is on the end of the cable connection in there?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos