Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Wifi Booster dropping connection

I have a Virgin Media SuperHub 3. As we don't get great signal at the rear of the house I also have a Virgin Media Wifi Booster to cover the back and garden. The base unit is plugged in near the router and the WiFi extender is plugged in at the rear of the house. It has worked fine as a WiFi extender for a while.

Thanks to now working from home I have set up a home office in the room with the WiFi extender. I have a number of wireless devices in the room but also a wired device. I switch the wired device on every morning and it accesses the network but most mornings, after a few minutes the connection is lost. This issue then takes out every device that was connected to the WiFi Booster as if the booster has lost connection.

I've tried restarting the wired device. I've also tried restarting the WiFi Booster. The only thing I've found fixes the issue is restarting the SuperHub which is a pain for all other network users as this occurs most mornings. I have tried reserving IP addresses thinking that might stabilize things but it hasn't. Once rebooted it'll run fine for the rest of the day.

The issue occurred once in the middle of the day but every other occasion has been within a few minutes of starting. I did think at one point the drop out was happening at the same time as another device being started up near the SuperHub (hence the IP reserving) but this has proven not to be the case on further testing.

Except for the one middle of the day example all have occurred after an overnight period of inactivity. Is there a sleep setting in the device or something else that might be causing this?

Any ideas anyone?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Wifi Booster dropping connection

Cant help with boosters as I never used them - I would say that if you want consistent wifi across the whole of your house/garden you should really consider getting your own better quality wireless equipment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Wifi Booster dropping connection

Sub-par boosters will give sub-par performance.

Get some better equipment and you’ll never look back again. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos