cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin WiFi Pod Questions & Advice Please!

Bazzy
Joining in

Hello All, 

I have some questions about the WiFi Pods as I am not sure if some are working & others seem to offer very poor WiFi if at all.

1) How does one check that a Pod is actually working?

2) How does one check what speeds any particular pod is delivering?

3) Does a Pod need to be "Activated" by Virgin or via an App etc before it will work?

4) There are some pods with two ethernet cable slots & others with just one - are these to be used in any particular order/locations? Are they the exact same or is one better/more powerful than the other?

5) Does a Pod have to be plugged into a wall main socket or can it be used on an extension cable?

6) A Room far from my Router is getting next to Nil WiFi. In the room where the VM Hub5 Router is placed (at the other end of the house), I have a wall AC Socket close by. Can I plug in a Pod there & then connect the Pod to the Hub 5 Router via Ethernet Cable? In the room where I am not getting WiFi, can I then  plug in a Pod to an AC Socket & instead of relying on WiFi, connect another Ethernet Cable from this Pod to a Computer in order to get Internet Service in that room? I realise it will be a wired option only & the computer will have to stay in place but if this works, at least I will have some service - Please kindly advise!

Many Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Bazzy, thank you for your post 😀

Information on our WiFi guarantee with WiFi Max, including how to test your WiFi speed and how the WiFi Pods work, can be found in this article here.

You need to plug the Pods into a socket halfway between a strong-signal spot and a weak-signal spot for an instant signal boost.

There's also a link you can click on, within the article, that will advise you how to set up the Pods.

This can either be done using the Virgin Media Connect app, which you can access here, or by following our guide.

Please have a read through all the information provided. If you have any further queries thereafter, don't hesitate to pop back to us.

Regards,
Daniel

Bazzy
Joining in

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply - I will look into the guide when able & digest.

You say: "You need to plug the Pods into a socket halfway between a strong-signal spot and a weak-signal spot for an instant signal boost."

However the Virgin Engineer said that one pod has to be close to the Hub 5 in the same room? Please clarify.

Please can you also answer definitively the following questions:

3) Does a Pod need to be "Activated" by Virgin or via an App etc before it will work?

4) There are some pods with two ethernet cable slots & others with just one - are these to be used in any particular order/locations? Are they the exact same or is one better/more powerful than the other?

5) Does a Pod have to be plugged into a wall main socket or can it be used on an extension cable?

6) A Room far from my Router is getting next to Nil WiFi. In the room where the VM Hub5 Router is placed (at the other end of the house), I have a wall AC Socket close by. Can I plug in a Pod there & then connect the Pod to the Hub 5 Router via Ethernet Cable? In the room where I am not getting WiFi, can I then  plug in a Pod to an AC Socket & instead of relying on WiFi, connect another Ethernet Cable from this Pod to a Computer in order to get Internet Service in that room? I realise it will be a wired option only & the computer will have to stay in place but if this works, at least I will have some service - Please see images attached & tell me if this would work:

Many Thanks

Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 22.42.57.pngScreenshot 2023-08-20 at 23.08.35.png

Hi @Bazzy, no problem at all. Thank you for your response. 

The advice provided regarding the location of the WiFi Pods is definitely correct, but we recognise it's not always possible to place them exactly halfway and will be different for each individual property.

In terms of your questions, the answers are as follows:

3) No, the Pods should activate automatically
4) All Pods will work in exactly the same way
5) Pods should always be plugged into a main wall socket
6) In both cases, yes. We'd always advise using an ethernet connection if possible.

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Daniel