cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Wi-Fi networks show as Public

alexeix
Tuning in

Hi, 

I’ve been having problems making my music collection accessible in the Sonos controller app on my Windows 10 PC, so I checked the Network and Sharing Centre, only to notice that my Virgin WIFI network showed up as a public network - which may be causing my issue with Sonos. 

Putting that aside for a moment, I’m concerned that my network is public, meaning that others can access it. 

Is this likely to be due to Virgin’s public WiFi hotspot policy? 

There were no settings in the hub for turning it off, however, I found one in my account setup on the Virgin web site. 

More than 24 hours later though, the setting is still active... 

How can I get it deactivated?!? 

Thanks. 

6 REPLIES 6

DavidJWalker
Well-informed
once you turned it off on virgin media website you have to turn off your router to get the hotspot away this is the same with bt

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using Ultimate Volt bundle

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I rebooted the router and the PC, but my network still shows as a public network.

g0akc
Problem sorter

@alexeix wrote:

Hi, 

I’ve been having problems making my music collection accessible in the Sonos controller app on my Windows 10 PC, so I checked the Network and Sharing Centre, only to notice that my Virgin WIFI network showed up as a public network - which may be causing my issue with Sonos. 

Putting that aside for a moment, I’m concerned that my network is public, meaning that others can access it. 

Is this likely to be due to Virgin’s public WiFi hotspot policy? 

There were no settings in the hub for turning it off, however, I found one in my account setup on the Virgin web site. 

More than 24 hours later though, the setting is still active... 

How can I get it deactivated?!? 

Thanks. 

Are you connecting to your hubs SSID (like VM1234567) as shown on the hub sticker as you should be at home, or to the public Wi-Fi hotspot which will be like  'Virgin Media'?

The hotspot is enabled by default on your hub and will show as a separate SSID on the same 2.4GHz Wi-Fi channel but doesn't use your broadband bandwidth.  If you wish to 'opt out' you do so in your account settings in 'my virgin media' as you've found - there's no setting for it on the hub.  You should still be able to use other hotspots when out and about if you turn yours off.

Once turned off on the website reboot the hub and see if it's still there.

Some folks have reported problems turning off the hotspot but that usually throws up an error code - VM staff here have helped people out with such.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

I have 2 SSIDs set up (one for 2.4 and one for 5.x), and I get the problem with both. 

I’m not connecting to a public hotspot on my router. 

That is to say, I shouldn’t be; neither of the SSIDs should be public.

Anonymous
Not applicable

so you mean this

apcyberax_0-1618071469532.png

that is just a windows setting. you can change it in your network seeing on windows

I’ve no idea how that setting was changed, but thank you - problem resolved.