cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Superhub 1: every day starts to refuse wifi connections, needing restart

palmyra08
Up to speed

Hi and in advance thanks for any tips,

1. Without any changes in the house (position, devices connecting, etc.), after a recent "improvement work" in my area (might be coincidence), the restarted SH1 has developed the regular symptoms.

2. Previously connected devices cannot reconnect the next day, sometimes even during same day - phone says router denied connection, laptop just "cannot connect" any more, TV says no connection to router. Bottom light can flash from time to time, middle light stays green, top blue light flashes.

3. Router restart fixes it temporarily, symptoms may come back next day or same day after some hours.

4. A powerline TPlink adaptor (using wired / Ethernet connection to Superhub1) with wifi at the other end remains connected and its wifi connects fine with any of my devices whilst superhub's own wifi network refuses connections (!).  This means that somehow Superhub1 is happy in terms of internet connection and its wired connection to the powerline adaptor. Again to note: this existed in the house previously and always worked fine, thus cannot suspect any wifi clash or anything like that.

As all of the house setup & devices are exactly the same, and symptoms started  few weeks ago, I am quite puzzled...

Many thanks if any tips - btw, I cannot get into the router as the admin password is not what is on the sticker and for years VM failed to clarify it or let me know in any way, so I'm quite stuck on diagnostics. 

14 REPLIES 14

Thank you for the update @palmyra08.

Glad to hear you were able to reach our team who booked a replacement for you.

Please let us know how it goes once it is in use and if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

so I just received the Hub3 in the post, with great heart palpitations I activated it and so far so good... Will see if it behaves and whether specifically the novel daily restart issue persists with this, too. 

I had some strong words for VM (not that it ever has any effect) about being left again without any notification on an ancient piece of kit - they updated me on speed with no cost increase, so if overall this works will see how that measures.

Keep us posted!!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

So... it behaved, today still connecting with devices noticeably quicker and didn't start to refuse connections (no reboot as SH1 started to need during last few weeks). 

So fingers crossed, it's made a world of difference - just super annoyed that as it happened with my set top box, if I don't find out from helpful people here, VM leaves me on ancient equipment that always suddenly needs update as it becomes unusable. Nice one VM, they can send my gazillion marketing emails but cannot send a notification on ancient equipment needing update or becoming not supported.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for keeping us updated palmyra08, really glad that there's been some improvement. Apologies for the lack of communication rest assured that will be fed back from here. 

If you encounter any more problems or if there's anything else we can help with please let us know.

Tom