cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Stream Box - Force to 5GHz network

Mattybw76
Tuning in

Hi,

I'm having buffering issues with my Virgin stream box, especially on TNT sports ultimate. Looking at the setting is connecting on the 2.4GHz range not 5GHz?

Is there anyway to force the box onto 5GHz range? I have my virgin hub 4 in modem only mode and use my Ubiquiti Dream Machine for the router etc.

Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated 

thanks

Matt

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your Stream box is connecting to an SSID, and if your hub is using default settings then it roams across both bands depending on the wireless conditions.

If you want to manually separate the bands, you need to do so within the Hub itself - I've moved your post to the WiFi section where others more familiar with the VM Hubs should be able to advise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

If your VM stream box is struggling to maintain a solid Wi-Fi connection on the 2.4GHz band the situation may be worse on the 5GHz band.    Is the real problem the Wi-Fi signal is not strong at the stream box ?

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Can you connect the Stream's power adapter to the Ubiquiti with an Ethernet cable?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You say you have the Hub in modem mode? What is supplying the WiFi ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Mattybw76
Tuning in

Hi all,

to get around this issue I hardwire my connect using a spear Amazon Ethernet adapter, couldn’t use the virgin plug provided because power socket is too far away. All fixed great picture without buffering now. Thx

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So, you are now using a wired connection.  Good job !

Personally if any fixed device has an ethernet connection, that's how I would install it.