cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Mesh Review

AS6
Dialled in

Hi All,

Just want to give my experience so far with the virgin mesh.

It it only 1 node. The node does nothing as settles in for a few hours then it gives u the promised speeds only for an hour or so before doing absolutely nothing. Signal is bad as before, this being 100% the router/mesh system's fault and I amnot being able to have a steady connection. 

Not only that, the speeds fell off a cliff and now its around half of what is promised on my package.

I was told that this would fix the issues, but clearly it lasted for an hour or so before reality struck.

I would like to be given my Local Area Field Manager's details as I'm sure he'll be able to help resolve the situation, give me my promised speed and reliability so I can be a happy customer rather than a depressed customer waiting for Boris Broadband aka the fibre rollout so i can switch providers.

I still have to endure this suffering for a year, and this hurts my many businesses and devices. I have spent like a few months now trying to get the forum team to fix my Wi-Fi and nothing has changed. 

To summarise, I'm not happy. Give me good wifi.

12 REPLIES 12

asim18
Fibre optic

Yeah I'm not a fan of recent influx of "mesh" branded stuff at every electronic retailer. I wouldn't class mesh systems as professional networking setup. Mesh WiFi is just a "home" grade botch job for people who are unable to lay ethernet. In ALL professional high use systems they just use WAPs with roaming, connected to a switch. It's 100 times more reliable.

It's always much better to use ethernet for the backhaul link. More WiFi backhauls means it's needlessly saturating more of the WiFi spectrum. Then you get another pod for the other room and it's worse because there's no free WiFi bandwidth. Then your neighbours get mesh and the whole WiFi is saturated and WiFi problems are back to square one.

Does the virgin media pod not let you use ethernet for backhaul? Some mesh systems let you use ethernet for backhaul.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Agree 100% with your comments. I would never ever consider installing a mesh system.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Can you watch 4K by wifi? if you can why need more speed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

@AS6 not sure who gave you the impression that the ‘pods’ need any settling in time - they don’t, just like the hub itself they either work straight away or don’t because there is an problem with the connection.

Honestly, nobody at VM, including the semi-legendary area field manager, is going to do anything at all to fix your WiFi issues - simply because they can’t!

I’m sure in one of your other threads, you admit that Ethernet connected devices are all working fine with full speed connectivity - and if so, at that point VM have fulfilled their obligations - WiFi a bit slow, tough, not their problem!

Wifi is a complete ‘black art’ and horribly susceptible to external interference, believe you me, I could move into the house next to you and install equipment that would utterly obliterate your WiFi connectivity. It’s absolutely impossible to ‘guarantee’ speed over WiFi or even if it will work at all!

As a cable modem, the VM hub is more than adequate, but as a WiFi access point it does seem to be sadly lacking, why, is a mystery, possibly bad design and location of the WiFi antennas, but the fact remains that you can do a lot better by simply getting your own WiFi access points/ WiFi router and using those instead.

Alternatively, you could carry on complaining about the WiFi access and demanding/asking VM to fix it - isn’t going to happen. Your choice!

Hi if u mean backhaul as in the pod having an ethernet port then yes there are 2 and i used 1 to connect the mesh to an xbox and it didn't work. Wifi was the same. It was maybe an hour or so when the wifi worked as it should have from day 1, then after it was terrible.

I don't understand why you needed to respond if you weren't going to help

1) You say mesh doesnt need settling in time. Clearly you haven't ever used the Virgin Mesh as that's what they say- 24 hours in order for it to settle in. After those 24 hours nothing has really changed its the same.

2) It seems you are annoyed- why? Probably because I said the truth. I know that's not allowed on these forums though so people such as yourself perhaps paid by VM to do this reply with nothing really useful.

3) I was told to get mesh to help as it would be another wifi access point. VM's mesh has failed spectacularly.

4) Perhaps you also have a huge ego since your a Very Insightful Person- supposedly. Well done, I'm sure Virgin sent you a little sticker and your chuffed with yourself!😂

What has 4K playback got to do with this?

And FYI, youtube playback is terrible sometimes autoing me to 144p as it cant run 720 1080 1440 or 2160 properly. Speed is certainly terrible.

Thanks, thought id give it a chance to be honest as they said it would help. I nicknamed the pod the "One-hour wonder"!

Just want to debunk your points further. I do not understand why you defend VM so much and the only reason I can come up with is that you are biased.

"Semi-legendary Area Field Manager" "Wi-Fi is a complete black art" "Wi-Fi a bit slow, tough, not their problem" "Asking VM to fix it- not gonna happen!"

I think these quotes show your a shill. The fact you praise the manager, you make excuses like wifi is a black art, well surely virgin have so much experience in this so why cant they give me good service? Even if we forget speed, how does interference affect it somehow turning itself off and cutting signal momentarily beforw returning? This so called "superfast wifi" this is your company's claim- not mine!

And the Wi-Fi is not just a "bit slow" its extremely slow! The fact you can't even watch videos or browse without the Wi-Fi being slow in these simple tasks or sometimes turning off tells you all you need to know!

I need the Local Area Field Manager's details so he can advise what to do to fix this mess! That's why I am asking for it you stupid conveniently defending VM 🤡!