Menu
awtowsey
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Powerline wifi Software Version.

Hiya,

I have one of the new Virgin Media powerline wifi booster and was wondering what the software version should be. The current on mine is  LG-w27.1.4c.p9.7.1 

I have been having issues with the 2.4ghz wifi where I am only getting 3meg down (If I'm lucky) and about 256kb up. Did not appear to have this issue when I originally got the booster. I have reset, repaired, etc with the same outcome. Strangely if I change the wifi security to WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK it appears to work fine, however I want the WPA2-PSK option to match my Hub 3 which does not have the issue.

Thx in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Powerline wifi Software Version.

Hey Awtowsey, 

Sorry you're having some issues with the booster. 

Did you get this through our Virgin Media Connect App? 

If so I would advise popping our team a message through the app under the "help" section and the team will be back in touch to discuss it further. 

:) 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
awtowsey
Dialled in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hiya,

Already tried contacting through the connect app and they were no help, they just referred me to the VM site on homeplugs which was no help. I was a trialist on the these powerlines before release. I did contact the trials team a while ago, however never heard back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
horseman
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@awtowsey wrote:I was a trialist on the these powerlines before release. I did contact the trials team a while ago, however never heard back.

Not surprising -VMPWL17 Trial was  closed (prematurely IMHO) early 2018.   FWIW There was (by my archived Trial. notes) at least 2 further f/w versions and you appear to have the most recent "postTrial" update.

Similarly,  while I still retain,use, and test these (rebadged Comtrend) G.Hn HomeGrid 9072/3 units  then without detailed. comprehensive WiFi (and "Mains"). spectrum analysis (which is out-of-scope  on these community fora") or alternatively just  MUCH MORE. DETAILED ENVIRONMENTAL/CONFIGURATION DETAIL then I doubt we'll get much further!. 

1. My SH3 is latest(public rollout AFAICT - since I'm not privy to all Internal and External Trial releases)V9.1.1802.610 which is configured(enabled) for "Smart WiFi"  dual band. 
  2. Because  I have multiple 2.4GHz (and Dual Band) 3rd party Routers that are. configured as both double NAT'd and bridged with WiFi along with neighbouring. WLAN's then 2.4GHz becomes somewhat congested. It's therefore more easily trivial to recreate similarly poor  SPEED performance (via SPEEDTEST multiple thread via VM CROYDON  host):Screenshot 2019-03-24 at 13.58.09.png
  3. So 9 of the above BSSID's are under my control (and ALL configured. as WPA2) and used mainly to recreate worst case "Congestion" scenarios....    I also use the imbedded (debatably inaccurate) "speed/ performance".
  4. Obviously suspecting SpeedTest.Net anomalies and  how inaccurate my "End device measurement" may be due to both firmware/resource issues then I currently test SPEED/PERFORMANCE   via SamKnows, and SpeedTest.Net 2.4. AND 5.0 GHz via consistent VM CROYDON VM Host using both iPad(12.1.4 and MacOS (Mojave). 10.14.3. at fixed   11m horizontal distance on both 5GHz. (Non DFS/TPC freq UNII 1) to direct. to both SH3 and HomeGrid G.Hn: Screenshot 2019-03-25 at 07.57.56.png

Screenshot 2019-03-25 at 07.58.20.png

5. So  even  this "simplistic summary" I respectfully suggest that you/we need to explore far more in-depth diagnostics. of. both SH3,PWL (Mains CU RCD/RCMBO types) and End2End Device Firmware/Resource. loadings....
  6. We also have to (politely?) consider  the (not entirely invalid) preposition. from some "older - longterm" contributors that it's  far easier/simpler/cheaper to return  PWL, switch SH3 to ModemMode and substitute a. 3rd party. WiiFi Router! Unfortunately trying to obtain comparative objective measurements / montitoring is why I suggest  these comments. are invariably.  time wasting/out. of scope of the forum.   

Thus what might initially appear as a "simple. forum query/request" can easily. become overly complex when "every man person and his/her dog/b.i.t.c.h" contributes (often - :?( ) without preserving any objective data/diagnostic context/scope......   😉

NotaBene wrt Moderation:  that "potential politically incorrect gender association" has been modified in order to attempt/comply with Forum T&C's.   If you/anyone has an issue  with this  context  then please contact me via PM (or preferably via Forum so ALL can understand AND COMPLY  WITH) the spirit of a family.website?

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
0 Kudos