cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Hub 5 - Only one ethernet port working after connecting a network switch

kierancrown
Joining in

As mentioned in the title I'm unable to get any other ethernet port on the back of the router working when I have a 8 port network switch plugged in also. Do I have to run everything off of my network switch or can I have several things plugged into the hub at the same time as running a network switch?

13 REPLIES 13

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What make/model network switch is it?  I assume the Hub is in normal router mode?  Or have you put it into modem mode?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I previously had it in modem mode as I was using a different router but recently reset the hub and it is now in router mode as my old router died. I'm using a TP-Link Managed Network Switch 8-Port Gigabit.

If you plug a wired device into the switch, with the switch still plugged into the HUB, is it allocated an IP address?

Is it in the 192.168.0.x range?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I suspect it may be something to do with it being a "managed" switch.  I only ever use UNmamaged switches.   Someone more familiar ought to comment

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

So any device plugged into the switch has an IP range that begins with 192.168.0.x. The switch works perfectly fine. It's when trying to plug other ethernet devices directly into the hub that they don't work. It's almost as if the hub can only manage so many devices via ethernet maybe?

Hey kierancrown, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am so sorry to hear about this.

We don't guarantee our equipment to work with any 3rd party kit and when it does it may not work 100%.

Please can you let me know if the ports work on the actual hub when not in modem mode? Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

yeah so as previously mentioned the network switch is working as expected. But only one ethernet port on the actual hub is working (the one the switch is connected to). It is in Router mode and not Modem mode. I'm wondering if the Hub can only support so many connections at once and the switch is causing the other ports to stop working...

There are four ethernet ports, three allowing for 1Gbp connections and one for 2.5Gbps. It comes with Intelligent WiFi which checks connections and ensures bandwidth is used evenly between devices.

All four ports should work in router mode and only one port will work in modem mode. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Do a little experiment. Unplug the switch and connect two devices to the hub, do they both work.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection