Menu
sriramvs
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Hub 3 intermittently losing 5Ghz WiFi connection

Ever since I moved to Virgin Media (350Mbps pack) in March 2021 I have a connection problem where all my devices connected to 5Ghz wifi jumps to 2.4Ghz wifi for a while and switches back after a few minutes. For some devices I have to manually do that.

I believe this makes streaming buffer for a few seconds, Teams video chats hang up and other video chats go into redial mode until wifi is back up.

After reading some posts I decided to separate 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz SSIDs, like I did with my previous ISP's router. This made the connection problems more evident.

All devices connected to 5Ghz drops connection for up to 30 seconds before recovering automatically. This is happening frequently and as close as 10 minutes between drop outs. Devices on 2.4Ghz are fine.

I tried a ping/trace tool to plot the round trip time to different IPs within the household and outside too. It shows packet drops on all laptops connected directly to the 5Ghz WiFi, but others connected to 2.4Ghz are working fine.

Is it time for a new hub? Any intermediate solutions welcome.

0 Kudos
sriramvs
Tuning in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Hub 3 intermittently losing 5Ghz WiFi connection

I raised a customer complaint today and it was quickly closed off without even contacting me. I felt it was quite rude, considering the proposed solution!!!!

sriramvs_0-1619626736097.png

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

It’s time for modem mode and better network equipment 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi @sriramvs

Welcome to the forum page and thanks for posting this on here. 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your hub but we are more than happy to help. 

From looking at your account via your forum information I can see that you have been in touch with our team recently to get this looked into. 

Can I just confirm is everything sorted for you now or do you still need our help? I am more than happy to help but just let me know. 

Thanks 🙂 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

sriramvs
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Sasha_W,

Unfortunately the replacement Hub is even worse.

The old one used to disconnect the 5Ghz WiFi every 5-10 minutes and then automatically reconnect.

The new Hub looses connection over 5GHz Wifi to all devices every 15-30minutes, but does not recover automatically. The only way to recover is by manually disconnecting and reconnecting on all devices. I have seen the same behaviour on 5 devices connected to the 5Ghz WiFi SSID (2 laptops, 2 android phones and 1 samsung smart TV). So, it is not a one off.

0 Kudos
sriramvs
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi @@Sasha_W,

Unfortunately the replacement Hub is even worse.

The old one used to disconnect the 5Ghz WiFi every 5-10 minutes and then automatically reconnect.

The new Hub looses connection over 5GHz Wifi to all devices every 15-30minutes, but does not recover automatically. The only way to recover is by manually disconnecting and reconnecting on all devices. I have seen the same behaviour on 5 devices connected to the 5Ghz WiFi SSID (2 laptops, 2 android phones and 1 samsung smart TV). So, it is not a one off.

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi sriramvs,

Thank you for keeping us updated on this. 

I'm sorry to hear the new hub isn't helping. 

Can you confirm if you have had an engineer visit at any point regarding this?

^Martin

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

You need to choose a less congested channel and try to optimise the hubs (poor) wifi output the best you can.. or get your own equipment as already suggest above

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
sriramvs
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin,

No visit from engineer yet.

The issue with the last Hub was identified with a tech support on the call. He reset the Hub, separated 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi SSIDs and asked me to try again. The connection dropped 2 times within 5 minutes (first connection loss in 1min and the second one 4mins after) while I was still on the call with tech support. The second connection loss was complete, i.e. the SSID disappeared for 2-3mins but recovered automatically and reconnected to all devices. I was using my mobile and a laptop to test connectivity while sitting 1 meter away from the Hub.

I was told that the Hub was defective and was sent a replacement Hub.

But, the new one is even worse.
The devices stay disconnected after the connection loss. I haven't had a complete wifi loss (SSID disappearing) like the old one, but this one is not reconnecting automatically after connection loss. Hence I mark this one more severe.

I cannot accept to go ahead like this since it is affecting our work, which needs 100% access to office systems and online meetings.

A quick solution will be appreciated.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@sriramvs wrote:
Hi Martin,

No visit from engineer yet.

The issue with the last Hub was identified with a tech support on the call. He reset the Hub, separated 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi SSIDs and asked me to try again. The connection dropped 2 times within 5 minutes (first connection loss in 1min and the second one 4mins after) while I was still on the call with tech support. The second connection loss was complete, i.e. the SSID disappeared for 2-3mins but recovered automatically and reconnected to all devices. I was using my mobile and a laptop to test connectivity while sitting 1 meter away from the Hub.

I was told that the Hub was defective and was sent a replacement Hub.

But, the new one is even worse.
The devices stay disconnected after the connection loss. I haven't had a complete wifi loss (SSID disappearing) like the old one, but this one is not reconnecting automatically after connection loss. Hence I mark this one more severe.

I cannot accept to go ahead like this since it is affecting our work, which needs 100% access to office systems and online meetings.

A quick solution will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Use a Wifi analyser app to look for overlapping channels.

Use a wired connection for stability.

Residential services are not meant for business use - if you need 100% uptime get a backup DSL line and/or a 4G/5G router.

0 Kudos