Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Branded Powerline Adaptors

Hi,

I recently got 2 Virgin Media Powerline Adaptors and the speeds I am getting off them are very slow.

I currently have the 350Mbps broadband service from Virgin (but I rarely get that)

Via the Powerline Adpators I get speeds of 40-70Mbps. Is this due to my home or just poor adaptors? Or anything else you can think of?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Branded Powerline Adaptors

powerline adapter will never give you amazing speeds. Depending on lots of things including quality of wiring it may well nto get more then 70.

what do you get wired directly into the hub

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Direct Ethernet connection to the Hub I get 220-330Mbps. I might try some other Powerline Adaptors and see what happens. Do you use any?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Different powerline adaptors support different speeds. I think they can go up to 1Gigabit now but that depends on things like wiring, the quality of the devices themselves etc.

You need to look at it in context too. You have 350Mbp downstream. That's shared between all your devices at any one time in theory. Does the device(s) using them really need the speed?

The question is, what are you using it for? You might find even though it's 40mbits at worse, it's good enough for what you need. The more important thing as well is to make sure it's stable. Better to have 40mbit stable connection than 300mbit that randomly cuts out!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

i use a TPLink one but i only get about 40mbps. I use wired for most things.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. I will check out others to see or use my Nighthawk R9000 router instead of the Hub to see if I get better speeds that way.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am on the V200 package and get ~220mbps on my Mac (both on wifi & Cat6 cable)

My lad uses a pair of Solwise adapters rated at 1200AV. He routinely gets ~150mbps on his gaming PC in his bedroom using short Cat6 cables.

But as already stated - a lot depends on the electrical circuit connections you have at home - so it's almost impossible to predict the speeds you will get.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. I have Cat5 cables but still they should be able to handle 350Mbps.

Knowing that home was built in 2002 I would think the electrics are better than most older houses.

Will look on eBay/Amazon & see what I can get or more importantly whats recommended.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Laks wrote:
Thanks for that. I have Cat5 cables but still they should be able to handle 350Mbps.

Cat5 cables are not specced/rated for above 100mbps.  Cat5e & Cat6/7/8 one's are rated to at least 1GB

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, will need to look at my cables & see what I have.
0 Kudos