forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
jayward35
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Hub 2ac with TP Link Archer C2300

I am new to this forum and not very technically minded, so go easy on me!

I have an older Virgin media hub, the 2ac. The wifi in my house is not great - it does not extend to my kids rooms very well and also has a tendency to drop out. 

On the recommendation of a friend, I got the TP Link Archer C2300 dual band router in an effort to improve things. 

I followed the suggestions on how to turn the Virgin hub to modem mode and connected up. Initially, success. Then I plugged various ethernet cables in to the new router, and disaster struck. No wifi and given I have zero phone reception, no way of reversing things. I eventually managed to sort this and return the Virgin hub to router mode again, but I have been put off trying again. 

Can anyone give me a simple step by step process for doing this so I can improve wifi reach and stability once and for all? 

Thanks!

Jay

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Hub 2ac with TP Link Archer C2300

@jayward35 wrote:

I am new to this forum and not very technically minded, so go easy on me!

I have an older Virgin media hub, the 2ac. The wifi in my house is not great - it does not extend to my kids rooms very well and also has a tendency to drop out. 

On the recommendation of a friend, I got the TP Link Archer C2300 dual band router in an effort to improve things. 

I followed the suggestions on how to turn the Virgin hub to modem mode and connected up. Initially, success. Then I plugged various ethernet cables in to the new router, and disaster struck. No wifi and given I have zero phone reception, no way of reversing things. I eventually managed to sort this and return the Virgin hub to router mode again, but I have been put off trying again. 

Can anyone give me a simple step by step process for doing this so I can improve wifi reach and stability once and for all? 

Thanks!

Jay

• Log into the HUB and set it to modem mode. Once it comes back up turn it off and unplug all ethernet cables.
  • Reset your third party router to factory defaults and wait for it to initialize.
  • Plug in an ethernet cable between the HUB and WAN port on the third party router.
  • Turn on the HUB.

That should be it other than configuring your router with any specific changes (SSID (Network Name), password, etc.).