Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 71 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin HUB 3.0 - DHCP menu hangs

So pleased to see that some of you manage to get in to DHCP after a long wait.

I've never got in yet. It just hangs for a considerable time and then returns me to

the  log-in page. Judging by the length of time this has been going on I don't

think I've got long enough to live to see it fixed!  But of course, cynical VM

continue to take  the money every month and put up prices with monotonous regularity.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 72 of 86
Flag for a moderator

This was meant to be in reply to Springfall2008, (post 50) but seems to have ended up on its own!

I gave up on the Hub 3 a month after getting it. I kept having to reboot it to get my HP wireless printer to work. Instant cure by switching to a router with the hub in modem mode.

Earlier this year I factory reset the Virgin hub after buying a new router that didn't seem to like the Hub. Thought a fresh start was overdue.

Then the sequence was
1 Put Virgin Hub in modem mode and switch it off.
2 Boot/Reboot new router
3 Wait for lights to 'settle down' (I was told the hub needs find the router 'ready and waiting')
4 Connect Hub to router WAN port
5 Reboot hub.

Mind you, I'm pretty sure that in the past I've done it the way you set out and things still worked fine
but just in case someone finds things aren't working after following your steps it would be worth them trying
a router reboot before turning the Hub back on.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 73 of 86
Flag for a moderator

I think we are all in agreement that modem mode with a fit for purpose router is a good idea but Virgin are waxing lyrical about the capabilities and the service they provide covers the cpe.

Virgin aren't funding a functioning router with DHCP services and wireless so they need to fix this however the hardware itself is well known to be poor so I'm not holding out hope that a software fix will offer any benefit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 74 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Same issue, fairly vanilla config but with about 15 wifi and 5 ethernet devices in the house.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 75 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Adding my support to this - changed over to SH3 from SH2 about a month ago. Set up 10 DHCP reservations back then with no issues, but discovered this problem yesterday whilst attempting to add one more. Browser (Dolphin) becomes unresponsive with no other web pages loading, while DHCP list says it's updating. Same browser I'd used a month ago (no different on any other browser I tried).

Tried a reboot earlier today and thought it'd (temporarily) fixed the freeze as my list showed up after ~30 seconds. Unfortunately, it balked on trying to add a reservation 😕 

I'll sit n' wait for a fix along with everyone else I suppose. 

On the point of no settings to allow backup of SH3 - they're in "Admin / Reload and Reboot". Backup at the top of the page 👍

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 76 of 86
Flag for a moderator

I had the same issue and have managed to get around it recently.

Reboot the Router - takes nearly 10 mins tio come up.

User Firefox browser. Login to management page.

go to DHCP and it will take forever to refresh - or time out - every minute click on the page in a blank area.

Eventually it will come to life and get a list of the dhcp - reduce the "Number of CPEs" to a sensible number - this is the number of devices \ IP leases - so i went for 50. still takes a while to scan a refresh, but so much faster and doesnt tend to time out.

R

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 77 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Cheers robfnet !!

Just tried your suggestion and it's a massive improvement thanks. Didn't hang as usual and as you say - takes about 45 seconds to finish refreshing, which is manageable.

Thanks again 👌👍

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 78 of 86
Flag for a moderator

So I just come across this issue after having to deal with a failed ethernet port on my mum's router. It really is pathetic that the VM regression testing process is so carp and then when an issue is identified they fail to fix it quickly. 

As for the ethernet port issue a raspberry pi plugged into it stopped responding a few weeks ago, no led on it although the other 3 were working ok. Reboot didn't fix so I tried a reset having backed up the settings first .... yes this feature does exist see below. Eventually after 30 mins of very weird ethernet issues with it dropping in and out on one of the working ports then it was all back to normal, bad port was working again and its led was lit. DHCP config page slow but eventually comes up.   

For those saying there is no backup and restore config then I found it under "Admin -> Reload and Reboot" and it appeared to work albeit with very odd 30 mins of weirdness as described above.

I don't have much faith in VM, their hardware or ability to fix things quickly. I have contemplated using modem mode but this is for my mum and VM will "support" this device whereas another router would be my responsibility and as I live 180 miles away it can be a bit tricky.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 79 of 86
Flag for a moderator

I had another event,

I thought I had managed to sort this issue by setting dhcp reservations but no. It seems to only happen on my 2.4ghz channel when it does as I've split my ssids for my iot backwards compatible and 5ghz for high throughput ac. When it stops working it just doesn't hand out a lease, Android phone thinks you need to sign in and iot just gives up the ghost after 2 mins timeout.

Still no sign of any bugfix and I won't be expecting one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 80 of 86
Flag for a moderator

I bought  an Archer C1200 instead. Works a treat.

0 Kudos