Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 21 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin HUB 3.0 - DHCP menu hangs

@Ellen_C 

with respect - the complaint/question is that a page in the hub3 is slow to load - there is no other problem

the fault is known and well documented on here so how do you plan to help as you say you can

How's your connection at the moment? Are you still having issues? Please let us know so we can assist further.

Tony
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 22 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Apologies for that.

We are aware of the issue and working hard to fix it.

Thank you for your patience. ^Ellen_C

0 Kudos
stroppygoblin
Joining in
Message 23 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Any update on this? It's beyond annoying.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 24 of 55
Flag for a moderator

@stroppygoblin wrote:

Any update on this? It's beyond annoying.

If you wait a long time it might get fixed but how long is too long for you? theirs still time to get your own router

0 Kudos
vmjimmy
Joining in
Message 25 of 55
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the exact same problems.  I'm wanting to add about 20 devices to the DHCP reservation and it's painfully slow to add each device.  On the order of 5 minutes per device, and I'm doing it in stages to just keep my sanity.

This is on a newly installed HUB 3 after only about 2 days of being active with a wired connection to the hub.

If this is "normal" is there a guide to using the hub in modem mode and are there any recommendations on what 3rd party routers that people use?

If it is normal for this page to take minutes to load, then it's not really acceptable.  I've added DHCP address reservation to many other home routers, and this is without doubt the slowest by far.

0 Kudos
bidmead
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 55
Flag for a moderator

You're right—it's not in the least acceptable. You'll also discover problem 2: having painfully installed the DHCP allocation table there's absolutely no way to back it up. You can't back up the settings on this router at all!

VM has told us that it's working on a solution to problem 1. I don't believe they see problem 2 as an issue worthy of their endeavors. In fact, you used to be able to backup settings on an earlier version of the Superhub 2 until a firmware update swept away this industry standard feature.

-- 

Chris

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 27 of 55
Flag for a moderator

@vmjimmy wrote:

If this is "normal" is there a guide to using the hub in modem mode and are there any recommendations on what 3rd party routers that people use?

Yes VM have a page showing how to put the Hub in modem mode - just google it.  Re which 3d party router - that's a bit like asking "which car shall I get?".  Depends on what your requirements are and what budget you have.  I would say that very good entry level devices can be had for £50-80, whilst £150 would be around the "sweet spot" and £2-400 will get all singing and dancing features that gamers like.

Here are a few recent satisfied users...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/replacing-router/td-p/3923472

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Confused-new-router-needed-or-not/td-p/3798...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Superhub-3-Wifi-Issues-please-help/td-p/392...

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
vmjimmy
Joining in
Message 28 of 55
Flag for a moderator

I did realise the question is very much like the "car" question - or even when I'm on the other end of the "what computer would you recommend for me" type questions.  I started going through old messages on the forum, but many thanks for the pointers to the articles.  I'm more the mid range user.  99% of the time, it'll be a few devices and no gaming reduced latency needed, and I'll be using it a for logging into work every so often. Having been on the "bad" end of a cheap router in the past that could not cope with loads of outbound NAT connections, I think I'll go for a mid range.  Again, thanks for the pointers.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 29 of 55
Flag for a moderator

For your needs, you wont go far wrong with a mid priced Asus.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
xerxel
Joining in
Message 30 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Hello @Ellen_c ,

Is there an ETA to fix please? I'm having same problems. Even a short term workaround would be useful if there is one.

Xerxel

PS. Does anyone know if its possible to SSH into this router and use command line to configure DHCP?

0 Kudos