cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin DNS servers?

WelshGasman
Superfast

Hi all,

I like many others I expect, use the default DNS servers of 194.168.4.100 and 8.100 ?

This weekend a direct debit was not taken for a website renewal and it went down as expired.
On Monday the payment was made and the website should have been back up, as should have been the mail.

Mail was fine, however the website was not available. Mail had nothing to do with Virgin.

I tried Ctrl + F5 and deleting cache on three browsers, Edge, Chrome and Pale Moon.
I tried to access on another computer in the house and even my Android phone, which had never accessed the site before, so cache should not have been a problem.

Nada, nothing, still no site. So I contacted our host to see if there was any problem at their end to which they said they could load the website without any issues.?

The tech support, suggested I use my data plan to test access and not my wifi on the phone??

I did this and lo and behold, the site came up.???

A NSLOOKUP of the website generated an error message saying no ipv4 or ipv6 records (A+AAAA) existed for the site???

So I changed DNS servers to Google DNS servers and lo and behold, the site came up.?

Change back to Virgin DNS servers and no site.??

I have called Virging to offer feedback, but I do not think the people I talked to understood a word I said. 😞

So I have come here to ask.... How often do these Virging DNS severs refresh.?
The site was down from about 14:00 on Sunday and back up by 1000 on Monday this week.?

I even called the site developer as I thought the DNS was not pointing to the correct IP, but the developer said he could load the site as well.

Never in a million years would I have even considered the Virgin DNS servers to be at fault, but once you find out, it all falls into place. 😞

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

So whats the site?

---------------------------------------------------------------

jagproperty.co.uk

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

HI WelshGasman,

Your site, and all the site links are working fine on my VM connection.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Looks good now.

C:\>nslookup jagproperty.co.uk 194.168.4.100
Server:  cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address:  194.168.4.100

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    jagproperty.co.uk
Address:  109.203.114.59
--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks for the replies.

That is the point. It took ages for the virgin dns to actually show the site?

I actually was using 8.100 as primary DNS to help balance the load.

Anyone NOT using Virgin was able to see the site.and I spent a good few hours trying to find the 'fault'? 🙂

It's not a fault: every ISP caches a copy of the registrars' master DNS records and uses the cache for perhaps 48 hours, so at any point in time some ISPs will not show the updated web page.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection