cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin DNS? going down often at midnight

justasking1992
On our wavelength

I am noticing that recently Virgin is having internet issues past midnight, I am on Discord playing a game of League or whatever and I disconnect from my game and can no longer speak on discord. My internet seems to work fine for websites like twitch and youtube but I can't connect or play any games for 20-30 minutes till it fixes it self and this has happened a few times over the last month around midnight.

I have a friend online who is also on virgin and lives around 150 miles away from me that is also having the same issues and disconnects with me at the exact same time. 

please fix this issue or I will start to look at BT, I mainly use my internet to game on and having these issues happening more and more often will make my switch

15 REPLIES 15

Client62
Legend

It is easy to confirm or rule out the DNS question, change your computer or console to use any Public DNS such as Google DNS or Cisco's OpenDNS and see what happens over the next week.

My computer DNS is already set to google but this has happened twice in the past two  weeks now to me and my friend and others it seems considering twitter blew up about it at the same time.

It happened both times at midnight to me and everyone else and unless you were in discord or gaming you would not even notice it as other sites work just fine,my twitch stream for example continues to play but my Discord goes red and I can hear people talking but can not talk. All my games disconnect and it takes around 20-30 minutes to come back.

This is the exact same issue that my friend had who lives 150 miles away and he returns to discord at the exact same time as me, If it is not a DNS issue than I am unsure what else it could be.

Client62
Legend

Planned maintenance frequently begins at midnight.

Myriads of firms have cloud backups that also begin at midnight & run for extended periods.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM often do work on the network between 00.01-02.00 resulting in disconnects of a few minutes.  It usually only continues for a few days  and then stops.

To monitor and record it for info and evidence, if you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I understand this its just that it has been happening more and more frequently this year, I can recall that last year it happened maybe two or three times max thorough the whole year and this month it happened last night and once ont he second. Prior to this month it has happened a handful of times this year as well.

Would a planned maintenance  also take down only certain parts of the internet, like I have stated unless you are gaming during these 20-30 minutes of outage or on Discord you would never know there was an issue. My twitch or netflix streams still work perfectly fine. 

I will set this up as well but it seems to be a nationwide issue or some issue tied to the north considering when it happens my friend gets it as well 150 miles away and on twitter people start posting about it and most of them seem to be people who also disconnected and cant reconnect to a game server.

Hi @justasking1992,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some regular disconnections!

I've taken a quick look at our systems and I'm having some issues seeing the full range of information. Can you please let us know if your Hub is currently in Modem Mode?

If so, would it be possible to switch the Hub back into Router Mode to ensure that we can see all needed information to see if there are any issues with your power levels?

Please have the Hub switched over to Router Mode for at least 24 hours before we can check the systems in full.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Client62
Legend

Were different locations and different ISP are involved in the same type of outage we have to look further down the line to find a likely common cause. Perhaps the games servers are going down.

No everybody who is having this issue is on Virgin media and it doesn't matter the game, last night we disconnected from league and discord for 20-30 minutes ago and 2-3 weeks ago we disconnected from CSGO. Everyone who tweets about it is also on Virgin and my friends in discord who are not on virgin can continue to play whilst we are waiting to reconnect to the servers. 

We can even hear them talking on Discord but can not speak to them either.