Address: [REMOVED]#53

** server can't find goodwood.com: SERVFAIL

$ nslookup goodwood.com 8.8.8.8
Server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: goodwood.com
Address: [REMOVED]

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

6 REPLIES 6

iscb2013
Tuning in

Spent a frustrating 45 minutes on the phone to Virgin trying to explain this issue ...   

"No its nothing to do with my internet connection" x a billion

"I'm not having issues with connectivity" x ???

"eMail is not the issue" x ??

The problem is within the Virgin data centres - specifically the DNS cache servers are broken (failing when trying to resolve goodwood.com - it resolves fine via googles DNS server).   Got them to raise a work order ...  not sure if it will get to the right department.

iscb2013
Tuning in

So you can remove public IP's (which are available in the global DNS) from the message - can you actually get someone in Virigin to fix the issue - yet more frustration (because this should be a simple issue to fix - its virtually impossible to get to the right people in Virgin) grrrr.....

It works for me. Maybe it's a temporary problem.

C:\>nslookup goodwood.com 194.168.4.100
Server:  cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address:  194.168.4.100

Name:    goodwood.com
Address:  217.114.85.70

C:\>
--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

It works for me. Maybe it's a temporary problem.

C:\>nslookup goodwood.com 194.168.4.100
Server:  cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address:  194.168.4.100

Name:    goodwood.com
Address:  217.114.85.70

C:\>

VM use anycast for their dns infrastructure, looks like an issue with the resolvers that are (geographically) close to OP.. suspect it will resolve itself within a few days.. but frustrating nevertheless…

It looks like it has been resolved - whether thats as a result of my 45 minute call to Virgin earlier or my posts here I don't know.

The main point is that it was VERY difficult to get through to someone who understood what I was talking about - especially as I was able to fully document the issue.  Virgin have automated systems and people reading scripts to deal with the majority of the issues they get, I understand that totally - however there needs to be a 'its none of those' option that allows the passing of technical information to their support staff without having to test all the components in my hours - which I told them initially could not impact the issue at all.

Added to my frustration was the fact that a moderator here (who I assume is a Virgin staff member) removed public IP's from my original post when they're available to everyone connected to the internet (unless of course you happen to be using Virgin's DNS servers in which case it may not be able to resolve !) so it made no sense whatever to do that.   I would rather they had passed to info to the Virgin technical support team (and said so in this forum).

Jen_Y

Pleased to hear it seems to be fixed for you. 

IP's are removed for online safety however, we do understand that certain public IP's are removed accidentally. 
Once removed we're unable to undo this however, forum members can repost the information. 

Jen_Y

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules