Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Connect device names

I'm a new Virgin customer and my WIFI speed is poor.  I'm using Virgin Connect to identify If any of the connected devices are causing an issue.  5 of the devices are a range of letters and numbers (a bit like an IP number).  How can I tell what actual device these numbers refer to?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Connect device names

@SamGale wrote:

I'm a new Virgin customer and my WIFI speed is poor.  I'm using Virgin Connect to identify If any of the connected devices are causing an issue.  5 of the devices are a range of letters and numbers (a bit like an IP number).  How can I tell what actual device these numbers refer to?

...there should be somewhere within the app whereby you can rename the devices to whatever you like. Not sure exactly where but its probably the same screen where you can view connected devices. If you click on a device, the app should take you to the next screen where it shows info for that device + an option to rename it.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks deans6571, when I go into next screen the manufacturer is 'unknown' and the connection is Ethernet so as I haven't attached Ethernet cables I'm assuming they are Virgin boxes, but further than that ??  When I pause 1 of them in particular I do see amarked I provement in internet speed, I just don't know what actual device I'm pausing!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@SamGale wrote:

Thanks deans6571, when I go into next screen the manufacturer is 'unknown' and the connection is Ethernet so as I haven't attached Ethernet cables I'm assuming they are Virgin boxes, but further than that ??  When I pause 1 of them in particular I do see amarked I provement in internet speed, I just don't know what actual device I'm pausing!

...there is definitely somewhere within the app whereby you can rename all the devices as in my app, I have all of my devices named i.e. TV, Bob's iPhone, Tom's tablet, Andy's phone, etc, etc.

Can't check right now as not at home to scan devices but it's definitely there somewhere (will have to check later tonight).

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@SamGale wrote:

When you click on the connected device in the app the next window shows the MAC address of the device and the IP address that it is connected to.  The devices will usually have their MAC address printed on them somewhere, or it will be available from within the device settings, so with a bit of detective work you should be able to identify each device.  You can then rename them in the app as already suggested.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham_A, thank you for that.  I'll give that a try.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorted!! As you stated Graham_A, the Virgin boxes MAC numbers tied in.  So now I know which box has the issue.  Many thanks for the responses Graham_A and dean s5671 - I appreciate the help..

0 Kudos