Menu
js1122
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Broadband + TP Link Deco + Sky Q & mini boxes

Hello,

I'm currently deciding on purchasing a mesh wifi system (I'm undecided against TP Link Deco M4,/M5, P9 or X20) to connect to my Virgin media Hub 3.0 and provide a better wifi experience in my house.

I also have Sky Q and two Sky mini boxes for TV. I've read a lot of complaints about inference between TP Link Deco and Sky as the both produce their own mesh networks and normally results the Sky Q and mini boxes not functioning correctly.

Before purchasing the Deco, I wanted to get insights from the community if they experienced this and were able resolve it? Otherwise the TP Link Deco may not be the best for my current setup

Many thanks

Jas

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Broadband + TP Link Deco + Sky Q & mini boxes

@js1122 wrote:

Hello,

I'm currently deciding on purchasing a mesh wifi system (I'm undecided against TP Link Deco M4,/M5, P9 or X20) to connect to my Virgin media Hub 3.0 and provide a better wifi experience in my house.

I also have Sky Q and two Sky mini boxes for TV. I've read a lot of complaints about inference between TP Link Deco and Sky as the both produce their own mesh networks and normally results the Sky Q and mini boxes not functioning correctly.

Before purchasing the Deco, I wanted to get insights from the community if they experienced this and were able resolve it? Otherwise the TP Link Deco may not be the best for my current setup

Many thanks

Jas

Don’t use the TP-Link on the same channel that SkyQ uses for its own mesh network. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
js1122
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary. I will be using the virgin 3.0 hub as a modem and the Deco as the router. Is it as simple as logging into the routers interface(Deco) and ensuring the channel is different to Skys?

Thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@js1122 wrote:

Thanks Gary. I will be using the virgin 3.0 hub as a modem and the Deco as the router. Is it as simple as logging into the routers interface(Deco) and ensuring the channel is different to Skys?

Thanks

If the Deco’s provide such functionality then yes. I am not sure if they allow you to set a fixed channel. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
js1122
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response.

On another note, Im currently deciding between the Deco M5 and X60. I know the X60 is future proofing for wifi 6 support which is probably better to invest in. Anyone had success with X60 with virgin broadband?

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have M100 and used Deco M5 for 2 weeks but returned it to Amazon. Replaced it with BT Whole Wi-Fi twin pack AC2600.

The Deco M5 gets really hot due to poor ventilation and I found it struggles with my family of 4. Since the BT kit its been flawless.

Obviously you get what you pay for with the BT kit about £40 more than Deco but IMO it was worth the upgrade. The Deco M5 is a basic model and the M9 is the bigger brother with tripple band.

The Wi-Fi 6 is new and unless you have lot a clients I think you better off spending the extra cash and get a tripple band Wi-Fi 5 system.

A decent tripple band Wi-Fi 5 will handle M500 speed easily.

Just my 2 cent 🙂

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
js1122
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I looked at the BT Whole Home option, but I'm a bit hesitant because it requires the the virgin hub to be in router mode or you buy another router but that would be additional cost.

Perhaps M9 is the one I should get

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes thats correct the Hub 3 needs to be in router mode. You dont need to purchase extra hardware
You disable the Wi-Fi on the Hub 3 and you can still use the other 3 ports.

I use 1 port for the Sky Q box and 2nd port for sons bedroom power line. The 3rd is a a spare.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
kkorkky
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

When the Hub 3 is in Modem mode it will only ever give out (DHCP) one IPv4 address. Normally that is for the Router that you use for wifi instead of the Hub 3.

Regards

KK

0 Kudos