Menu
expatista
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin 3.0 Hub Wifi keeps dropping all Wifi devices

I see that Netgear has a Wifi 6 mesh system, pricey but seems to offer high speed across 3,200 square feet footprint. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Whole-Home-System/dp/B01MTYPZ1K/ref=asc_df_B01MTYPZ1K/?ta...

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 22 of 45
Flag for a moderator

If you are looking at the top end of the market I would recommend you get a "triband" system - I dont think that one is.  Look at their Orbi range - or Linksys Velop's or TP-Link M9's

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
expatista
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks a lot for your help John.
0 Kudos
TrueVerdict
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 45
Flag for a moderator

I think this si the device John is referring to. nice bit of kit, probably overkill for most but in tech, if your budget stretches to it get the best you can afford it will see you through!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Tri-Band-Satellite-Extenders-Coverage/dp/B089NMH2WX/ref=asc_df_B089...
--------------------------------------------------------------
If you find my responses help or amuse you in any way, please cheer me up and give me some Kudos - - - - Services: Hub3 500mb speedtest.net result 22 Jan 2021 = 550mb down / 36mb up Ping 12
0 Kudos
expatista
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Yes it is really expensive but I suppose it also future proofs the install as it is wifi 6?  Do you need to get a new router with this or is one of the devices the router and you switch the hub to modem mode?

0 Kudos
expatista
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 45
Flag for a moderator

I see now that you can install it and use the VM hub as a modem.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 27 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Whichever you get - connect it this way....

Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it. Put the VM Hub into modem mode (see VM website for “how to” details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, set up your own router/Mesh with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub. Now power up the VM hub and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
expatista
On our wavelength
Message 28 of 45
Flag for a moderator

I was thinking about trying a wifi extender first as a lower cost option to see if that sorts it.  I understand that the Orbi is the optimal solution or other triband mesh systems it's just a lot of money to spend at the moment. 

I saw this TPLink dual band extender:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Extender-Broadband-UK-RE450/dp/B013SYHHI2/ref=sr_1_4?a=b&ascsubta...

Cheaper TP Link Velop Mesh device - cheaper than Netgear Orbi that is.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N5M9NNB/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01N5M9NNB&pd_rd_w=Xjq0G&p...

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 29 of 45
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't go for either of those

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
expatista
On our wavelength
Message 30 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Hey Alessandro,  I am reading another thread on the forum which I think you are on as well and they are talking about the Deco M4 as a good cheap solution.

0 Kudos