Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Video chat - camera goes off and on again repeatedly then gives up

Hi there

I've started having issues with video chats that affects Google Meet, Skype, Teams, Whereby etc - basically everything.

The problem is that my camera loads and I appear for a few seconds and then it turns off, then on, then off etc and then it eventually gives up.

My IT dept found no issue with my machine and my broadband speed is "fast" but they seem to think it might be router issue.  "Ask your ISP to check for any issues on the router" is the exact helpful advice.  I've restarted it and that didn't help...

So here I am.

Any ideas?  How would I do this? 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Video chat - camera goes off and on again repeatedly then gives up

How are you connecting Wi-Fi or ethernet cable ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

Via Wifi.  It's not really practical to connect via a cable on an ongoing basis.

Thanks

Richard

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Always use ethernet if possible.

IP provided Hubs are renowned for their poor Wi-Fi, and at the best of times Wi-Fi is a fickle beast that can be affected by numerous things such as distance from the Hub,  building construction, other electronic devices, neighbouring Wi-Fi, basically all sorts.

VM supply to the Hub, after the Hub it is up to you.

Many on here, myself included advocate the use of a third party Gigabit capable Wi-Fi router or Mesh system.

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.  I can't really connect via a cable - it's in an awkward place in the house and just not practical.

Given I've only just started having these issues after years of no problems, could there be another cause or fix? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It could quite easily be something outside your property affecting things.

My VM Wi-Fi throws a wobbly when the local area CCTV on the lamp post outside is being used.

It could be anything, this is the reason that I purchased a third party router to overcome any problems.

You could try a couple of Powerline adaptors.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rickles82

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of the WiFi issues. I've had a check on the system today and no issues are showing. If you have a smartphone, can you download free of charge, the Virgin Media Connect app from the phone's app store. When you've downloaded it, you'll be able to do a wireless scan in the property which will check for any black spots for coverage and also prompt you to order a booster should one be needed.

You can find out more here

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos