Menu
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 31 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow unreliable broadband 2019 (SH3)

1. Listing the technical specifications for routers provided in the other countries without understanding the fundamentals of wifi does nothing for the case, with the Singaporean ISP provided router you've listed that  has 2.2gbps in the marketing is the aggregated bandwidth of the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios, the total bandwidth they're capable of for multiple clients and over both radios. From the website for that router "2.4GHz (400Mbps†) + 5GHz (866Mbps†) for WiFi devices to connect to the Internet. 5GHz (866Mbps†) dedicated WiFi link for faster data connections between Orbi router and Orbi Satellite". The fact the second 5GHz radio isn't even for clients, it's for connecting to the repeaters means they're including bandwidth irrelevant to the user in their 2200mbps marketing.

866mbps isn't even the top end for 802.11ac, the majority of routers you'll buy will have 1300mbps 5GHz radios, yet even those won't come close to that in real world usage due to it being a theoretical maximum to multiple clients. (The Hub 3 also has 866mbps 5GHz.)

802.11ad is in draft and most devices are still early, no ISP is going to provide them yet as they haven't had time to mature and be tested. Nor do any client devices with 803.11ad exist to make use of the increased wireless bandwidth.

2. Speeds over 1tbps in a single fibre do not exist in commercial applications currently, nothing you've linked disputes this.

Your first link is multiple fibres being aggregated, not just one. Your second link an R&D test, not an actual connection, and is backbone too, not an end user connection. Your third link is also R&D and not an actual connection, and is also backbone. Your fourth link is also R&D and not an actual connection.

I had a feeling you'd bring that snippet up from the JISC website, that's the aggregated capacity of JANET's peering (peering being the point at which traffic exits one network, JANETs in this case, and ends up on a network to go to the destination), not how much capacity they give to universities and academic facilities, and not how much speed they have over a single fibre. You'll also notice how that same page says they use 400gbps backbone circuits, so they wouldn't have the capacity to properly handle the traffic if they started giving every university in the country more bandwidth than each of their circuits has.

Some of the latest submarine cables are increasing quite rapidly in maximum design capacity because they're upgrading the transceivers and increasing the density of the cable. Just so you're aware the name is somewhat of a trick, a submarine cable is actually made up of a huge amount of fibre optic cables inside an armored and shielded outer shell. Not a single cable.

The person in Sweden with 40gbps is irrelevant, I'd already mentioned 40gbps being available over a single fibre.

Datacenters used to be quite open about exactly how much transit capacity they had in and out of their facilities, but in recent years they're becoming less so due to bandwidth saturation attacks becoming more commonplace, it makes it harder to take an entire datacenter offline if you're not sure how much bandwidth you need in order to do so. But even then datacenter connectivity is over many fibres, not one.

3. I was actually wrong on this point, you can now (or maybe very soon, still rolling out) commercially buy 400gbps QSFP transceivers for single fibre connections with Cisco being one of the latest to unveil theirs, however many datacenters still haven't completed their build out to 100gbps transceivers. Sadly I cannot find a price for a 400gbps QSFP transceiver, probably as they're still in the rollout phase and will require you to get in contact with the manufacturer to arrange an order.

I'm already aware of multimode optical transmission, I operate 10gbps multimode transceivers on my network. It's not a magic term to allow infinite speeds over fibre, in reality it just allows higher speeds without having to upgrade the laser tech too much but reduces the distance you can run the fibre without requiring a repeater.

4. Yes Virgin are my ISP, but no their website does not advertise their package speed as wifi speed, if you read what you pasted carefully you'll notice their subtle wording, the bit about the speed of the connection is a seperate sentence and is in relation to the technology used to get the connection to your home, and not the speed you'll get over wifi.

Also unrelated to any of these counterpoints, but in relation to your mentioning of ISPs maintaining ownership of the routers, in the case of VM this is true, if you leave they will request the Hub to be returned to them.

I'm not trying to be hostile, I'm trying to raise the point that the speed you get over wifi is not what the ISP advertises or guarantees, and as connection speeds increase like they are doing it'll be less and less likely for everyone to get their package speeds to a single device over wifi. Wireless technology has limits due to the fundamentals of RF that it's built upon, and also the point that no end user can currently obtain a speed of 1TB/s unless they're bonding a huge amount of connections to their home, and then they'd be unable to use the speed for anything due to nothing having the infrastructure to support it.

0 Kudos
AlisonH66
Joining in
Message 32 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Having this same problem, paying for 350mb, WiFi ridiculously low and partner ends up using his phones 4g to get a more reliable signal, son uses PS4 which WiFi kicks him off and fed up ringing and getting nothing resolved - feel your pain

0 Kudos
Abdallah
On our wavelength
Message 33 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alison

im sorry to hear of your issues. I was pretty much experiencing the same issues. A few points so that you could potentially jump ahead in this process. Things will get better, I’m sure of it.

- Do you have the most up to date modem/router? It’s called super hub 3.

- please perform a “hard” reset of the SH3. Do this by holding down the reset button on the rear for like 10-15 seconds, until all LEDs on the front blink. It may be your son has fiddled with settings for gaming. This will reset everything to factory. Wait like 15 min while it does an update and connects and stuff

- Please perform speed tests on all wired and wireless devices. It would be useful to know speeds of devices near and far to the modem, wired and unwired. Note down and tell us all speeds and devices pls. Pls note, with most “high-usage” device, it is recommended to connect  by wire to router such as PS4 or smart TV  

- Are you competing for Wi-Fi with neighbours? When you check Wi-Fi nearby, are there loads of other names on the list?

- where is the Wi-Fi locates in relation to the premises and devices

———-

without knowing the above it will be difficult to really get to the bottom of the situation. I can’t tell if you have a “bad line” or a faulty box which is what I had. If you live in a large open plan property like me, the signal from the box will NOT reach all areas. I had to invest in funky range extenders which piggy-backs on the electrical system. Haven’t a clue how it really works but my God, what a difference. 

Above all, know no problem is insurmountable. Any frustrations will hopefully be resolved.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 34 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi AlisonH66, 

Thank you for getting in touch. 

I am really sorry you've been having problems with your broadband. 

Has the above information helped resolve your issue? If not please pop back on here and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Many thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos