Menu
darek123456
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Very slow speeds with TP link

Dear all,

My TP link connection is painfully slow because the powerline light(the middle one) turns red as soon as the ethernet is connected to the PC, as shown on this pic http://puu.sh/D2KBB/e0bdb1a823.png

They are paired correctly, and before plugging in the ethernet cable into my PC the powerline light is solid green, they are only separated by one flight of stairs.

The ethernet port is also showing orange and flashing orange LEDs if that means anything.

Speedtest on my phone at the same location shows 50mbps, and on my PC with this connection I'm getting 10-15.

I've tried resetting both the modems and the TP link boxes, tried replacing the TP link boxes with different ones, uninstalling all port drivers, plugging them directly into wall sockets, trying different cables etc.

This has worked previously in this exact location, but for some time now I have not needed to download anything so I have just left it as is when it stopped working as it should.

I'm using the new superhub.

Any suggestions on how to make this work would be greatly appreciated because its driving me nuts, thank you

0 Kudos
goslow
Up to speed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very slow speeds with TP link

Looks like you TP Link (which I am assuming is an ethernet powerline device not wireless?) is plugged into a mains power splitter block from your photo.

Have you tried it with the TP device plugged direct into a mains wall socket?

Edit: Soz, you said you already did that!

0 Kudos
darek123456
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I have but I'm gonna give it another go. Do you think both of the boxes need to be directly plugged into the wall or just the one connecting to my PC?

0 Kudos
goslow
Up to speed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Apologies, I'll try again .....

Based on my experiences at home they need to be both into a wall socket for max speed. In the summer I introduced a splitter into my arrangement and the speed dropped from a solid 70 Mb/s all the time to a poor 40 Mb/s with a mains splitter at one end.

Even with both ends in wall sockets you can get variations if one of your sockets is on the proper ring main and the other is wired as a spur from the ring.

I believe the orange light on the hub means a 100 Mb/s connection. Is the network card in the PC definitely capable of >100Mb/s?

What about trying:

PC plugged direct into the VM hub (either temporarily move the PC or use a long network patch lead)? (Which would test your PC speed without the powerline)
Try a different device connected to the powerline in the same location (can you borrow a laptop, say, from friends, family, neighbour to test with gigabit network card)?

You have already plugged the powerline direct into a wall socket. Have you tried both powerlines in the same double power socket if that is feasible? (That might help see if it is an issue on your electrical wiring).

And also, what are the actual spec's of the powerline adapter? I have a Netgear device with a headline speed of 'upto' 500 Mb/s. The best I have ever got out of it is about 90Mb/s real-world value from upstairs ring main to downstairs ring.

0 Kudos